Best diy router lift ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Lab Lifter looks well cool :eek:

Is it man enough for the job ?

Cordy":3oyoawkd said:

I haven't tried it as a router lift, but I think it would do the job pretty well assuming you always locked the router off.

screwpainting?

Anyone who introduces his video with several minutes of him/her/it facing the camera, talking without getting to the point, is really indulging their ego, publicising themselves, not addressing the supposed point of the video.

Try Alan Holtam, Steve Maskery, Matthias Wendel, 'Poor old chap' and (best of all perhaps) Tubal Cain for examples of how to present videos about the topic, not them.

Sam

Sam, there is no way that guy is video-graphically sophisticated enough to be indulging his ego and if he is, I cannot detect any evidence of it. He is just bloke trying to tell people how he dicked about and came up with a solution he likes.
I love that!

I can't watch anymore of this type of thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdoVtL248M

Why doesn't the cupid stunt just learn how to use a hand saw...

No, its all got to have £10,000 worth of tools and ...

If I were to suggest a role model to this lad it would be...

https://www.youtube.com/user/TipsfromaShipWright

Or maybe Old Ron Fox..

Anyway, I think this blokes idea of raising a router is well worth my time to build and improve upon, just for me. I saw more new ideas in his rubbish video than I have so far watching all your heroes so I guess its all a matter of skill and creative potential and understanding. I expect to design and build a fantastic table and lift system of my own design, but with this lads basics incorporated in it as a start point and will thoroughly enjoy doing so.

Sorry if I misunderstood you mate.

Never trust a video that has a workshop you could eat your dinner off.

Do those guys ever actually make anything except videos?

What an incredible amount of faff which can easily be avoided just by having a triton router.

Triton routers are for wimps and Aussie faggots, what you need is a fifteen odd year old DeWalt 621 1/4" like me!
A proper mans router for doing stuff with. Mind you if I had the money...

I don't consider it a faff, I would if I were making stuff to enable me to eat, but it is my hobby to re-learn and hone some of my old skill set, the ones I can still remember that is. My knees and back are Donald Ducked and I can't carry out my first trade. A man misses what made him who he was and as a an apprenticed tradesman of 45+ years I miss the cred to be honest. I just built my first cabinetry thing in donkeys years and it felt good to get my stuff together and see a finished article unique to me in my house.
I was, initially, quite in awe of the many tablesaw/powertool stars videos that I watched and felt a bit out of it and daunted. Now though, I find myself going back to what I grew up with and used as a young man, you know, decent hand saws, a plane and a few chisels and screwdrivers hand tool skills.

That's why I liked this Spanish blokes video, a bit hairy pineappled but with good ideas and no tremendousness.

I'd like to see how Alan Holtman would do making one of his vids in Spanish with the same basic tools as this bloke.

Screwpainting? I LIKE the original posting. Where we got our wires crossed, was when I commented on the other ejit, the one who starts his video with a facial close-up so near to him, individual nose hairs could be counted...

There is a shockin' amount of redneck wittering on Utube and it's largely done - as far as I can see - for the edification of the poster. AND a shockin' great whack of it is unsafe practice. Like you, I abhor the chequebook craftsman. I was brung up (in my first career as a photographer) by a sage old bloke whose motto was "Ain't what you got, it's how you use it". He had no time for showoffs and all the time in the world for competent, practical practioners of the art. Seconded. So, when I see barely concealed self-gratification (polite way of saying 'show-offs) I remember old Lennie Callan and think of what he said: "show'us yer work, not yersel".

Sam

Gotcha Sam, I completely agree with what you mean now :D that guy, though harmless, instantly got on my nerves too, I got the wrong end of the dowel there mate, sorry.

As for the Aussies, sorry they are fair game and would expect nothing less from an English superior :ho2 .

NazNomad":3f7b2b4i said:
Never trust a video that has a workshop you could eat your dinner off.

Do those guys ever actually make anything except videos?

Or on the other hand don't take advice from someone who can't keep his own workshop clean, a well run and managed workshop should be kept clean for the health and safety of those who work in it. No one needs to die early from nasal cancer.

This video might interest you.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/wood- ... posure.htm

Peter

transatlantic":2b02vtww said:
Cordy":2b02vtww said:

I haven't tried it as a router lift, but I think it would do the job pretty well assuming you always locked the router off.

Hello,

They look cool, but max loading of 3 kilos might just be too flimsy. Springs in plunge routers can be pretty beefy.

There are loads of workable solutions to router lifts that are not nearly as complex as that cable driven job in the video. I like it, though, but suspect there may be too much backlash in the system to be practical.

Mike.

Peter Sefton":1rqn7sf2 said:
Or on the other hand don't take advice from someone who can't keep his own workshop clean

I agree, but 'clean' and 'clinical' aren't the same thing.

... and that HSE video? He's flicking it everywhere with a stiff broom. He's got a Festered Sander that doesn't appear to even be inflating the dust bag?

When he uses the hoover, he's already swept it up once (presumably with his flicky broom?).

woodbrains":3qmvto8g said:
transatlantic":3qmvto8g said:
Cordy":3qmvto8g said:

Hello,

They look cool, but max loading of 3 kilos might just be too flimsy. Springs in plunge routers can be pretty beefy.

There are loads of workable solutions to router lifts that are not nearly as complex as that cable driven job in the video. I like it, though, but suspect there may be too much backlash in the system to be practical.

Mike.

You might be right, but honestly, the springs shouldn't be that stiff else the router would be difficult to work with anyway. I'll see if I can test it, but I don't think I have room underneath my dinky router table :( (table top version)

And just to clarify, you'd definately need to lock the plunge off after adjusting for the height.

Hello,

I suppose it depends on the size of a dinky little router, but most larger ones people use in router tables have springs that must be at least strong enough to raise the router's weight, otherwise they'd be useless.

Mike.

woodbrains":l41zx6ws said:
Hello,

I suppose it depends on the size of a dinky little router, but most larger ones people use in router tables have springs that must be at least strong enough to raise the router's weight, otherwise they'd be useless.

Mike.

Sure. I think it would take a lot more than 3KG to be honest. I have an Erbauer which is 5KG so will test it with that.

I love this forum; already finding something new to learn every day and I have only been here for a week or so.
Many thanks to RogerP for pointing out the Triton router with the built-in router lift.
Spot on for my needs.
I plan to build my table saw in to a unit with a router table both using a common fence based on the Axminster Rip Fence.
The Triton router will make it much simpler.
However I did like the concept of the 'fly-by-wire' lift. Cheap and effective(?) and no need to put another hole in the insert.

I used a scissor jack as a router lift. Not only was it not particularly easy to fine adjust, but when padding between the jack and the router, most of the cooling vents were obstructed.

I'm in the process of building the Woodshop plans lift, shown by Steve Ramsey. I know he's a bit in-your-face, but I think he's OK, just subject to a different culture to ours in the UK, and for a septic he's quite bearable. There are far worse on YouTube!

Mine's a non hydraulic bottle jack/screw jack. Works well and gives convenient 'front of the cabinet' height adjustment. I've made a rectangular lifting plate with four woodscrews in where the protruding heads mate against the casing screws of the router, thereby providing ample air gap for cooling, the jack then pushes against this ply plate.

Back