Deep sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
What type of aids do you use to sand the inside of deep forms that have an opening too small to get your hand in safely but are easily seen by eye unlike small opening hollow forms. This also includes the type of sanding medium as I know some will not form to a curve very well and crease up leaving a sharpish corner which can lead to more lines being put onto the piece.
I did look at the simon hope system with the long reach handle but even then this was too large to get into one of the forms I turned.
Or do you leave it straight off of the tool whether it be a gouge or scraper.
I have used a dowel with foam fitted to the end to form a ball shape and attached paper to this.

Frustrating isn't it, variations on the split stick and crudely bundled abrasive, gave up on foam and formed ends covered in abrasive as they don't last long and I spend more time messing with them than doing the turning.
I now concentrate on trying to get the best possible finish off the tool, often finding that an ultra sharp carbide tip cuts/scrapes it almost within acceptable levels.

I have used sleeved abrasives occasionally but they don't reach the bottoms and are again too short lived for regular use.

If I've got close enough to try a sealer to check I ball up the Nyweb Pads to take off any nibs.

Last awkward piece I got at by using a couple of the Hope ultra soft ancillary pads griped in surgical pliers/clamps, just don't put your fingers through the handles.

Back