split from Using a Lathe (off topic)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
More than happy to post a few pics but I have real problems putting them on this forum due to the size of the files. I do not have issues on any of the other Forums I subscribe to so it has really put me off...........

Lazurus":2q9j1skc said:
More than happy to post a few pics but I have real problems putting them on this forum due to the size of the files. I do not have issues on any of the other Forums I subscribe to so it has really put me off...........

Do you have windows live photo gallery if so it is easy

No, just my I pad, it would seem if I email myself the images the program shrinks them but its a lot of faffage and takes the spontaneity of replies away. :(

I quite agree, it is a put off , It would be nice to just drag and drop , but I suppose all pic sizes are different.

I could look into that, but it then precludes any other stored images I have, will see what I can do with taking future images though.

Someone else having issues to..............

So i noticed someone asked for pictures....

I hadn't tried the picture upload functionality here. It's a bit difficult - having to select, upload, place inline. No automatically reducing image size means you have to do that beforehand as well, and not being able to select multiple files in one go means it's hard work. Also, the more you upload, the more you have to scroll up and down, you always end up ad the default tab 'Options' so 'Upload attachment' has to be selected every single time and inlined links don't always end up where the cursor is either, so it's necessary to check that as well for every picture.

Dalboy":1wjf5zcv said:
Can you change the setting on the I pad so that it takes a smaller size picture

No that is not possible. There are however a plethora of apps available that will resize images, and also as mentioned above simply emailing them to yourself resizes them and takes approx 30 seconds.

In the time its taken to write this reply, all the images on my iPad could have been resized.

Whilst I agree its not the most convenient method and the forum software does not have the most convenient way of adding images, its really not that difficult. As this is a new recently introduced format of the software, and therefore the method of adding images, it is not going to change. If one wishes to participate in the forum, share ones work and inspire others or glean insight into possible improvement of ones own work, then a few extra clicks of the mouse or taps of the screen is what is required.

Let me add to that that somewhere in the process the cursor position is reset as well. If the cursor is at the end of a post, and you add and then inline a picture, it ends up at the start of the post.

Ok just emailed myself 4 images, they arrived the same size as sent so still unable to upload what am I getting wrong? :oops:

I think the resizing option only happens when sending via a 'phone link as opposed to the internet.
At least it's only the mail package on my 'phone that gives me this option.

You are given an option to choose the size of the image to conserve data use for you and recipient before sending.

jurriaan":3ugcjnvb said:
Let me add to that that somewhere in the process the cursor position is reset as well. If the cursor is at the end of a post, and you add and then inline a picture, it ends up at the start of the post.

Yes this is a pain. The solution (a bit more work) is to move the cursor to the position you want it before you add the pic inline.

I agree that the picture loading process is kludgy, and has been for a long time; it is not a consequence of the new software. I had hoped that the latter would incorporate a better method of inserting photographs.

I dislike third-party hosted photos. The photo bucket disaster is the worst example, but with many of them, clicking on an externally-linked photo brings along more adverts and annoying messages to join their site.

MusicMan":1k11hjx7 said:
jurriaan":1k11hjx7 said:

Yes this is a pain. The solution (a bit more work) is to move the cursor to the position you want it before you add the pic inline.

I agree that the picture loading process is kludgy, and has been for a long time; it is not a consequence of the new software. I had hoped that the latter would incorporate a better method of inserting photographs.

I dislike third-party hosted photos. The photo bucket disaster is the worst example, but with many of them, clicking on an externally-linked photo brings along more adverts and annoying messages to join their site.

Cant be doing with all this, so will pass on the posting of images.... sorry.

phil.p":1jbb4crt said:
In view of recent comments about topics being "searchable" maybe the title should be edited to something relevant to picture posting?

Ideally it would be but then the posters in the original thread would not find their posts. #-o

Also all of the information in this post is already covered in I dont know how many threads and there is an image posting guide sticky at the top of each and every forum.

Back