Make a planing stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Make your own planing stop. This took about 30 minutes to make and install ...

image.jpg

It looks like an ordinary dog hole. 1" wide in O1 steel. Filed 8 ppi. Sharp like a saw.

image.jpg

Used with a Doe's Foot ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

.. or tail vise ...

image.jpg

The extra grip over a bench dog is amazing! It grips so well that it is just as stable off centre ...

image.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've been meaning for several years to try a modification like that on my plain square stop.
I guess it's just moved up the to do list!
Thanks, Derek.

AndyT":z2g21lgk said:
I've been meaning for several years to try a modification like that on my plain square stop.
I guess it's just moved up the to do list!
Thanks, Derek.

+1, I need to give this a try

OK, I have made a modification to the way the stop is attached to the dog.

1a.jpg

The brass screws have been replaced by stainless steel M6 bolts into threaded inserts ...

3a.jpg

This is the spring-loaded bench dog. It will remain at any height it is set. Note that all my bench dogs are exactly the same, and this one can be used in place of any other ...

4a.jpg

How the stop looks to the wood :)

2a.jpg

And once again to emphasise the relevance of the Doe's Foot ...

5a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you very much, Derek.
May I ask what that nice wood in your bench top is?

I never like metal stops or dogs as I feel I risk ruining a tool blade on it.
Like the notched wooden support for the other end though.
Ian

Derek
By the looks of things, the holes in your bench are at 90 degrees, and you could face your angry dog in either direction...
Is this the case?
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom

The square dog holes along the front of the bench are angled down at 2 degrees. This includes the dog hole in the wagon vise.

The round dog holes in the centre and far end of the bench are all vertical. These are used for (Gramercy and Veritas) hold downs or brass (Veritas) bench stops.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I remember when you posted your newly constructed bench over 10 years ago, it has a few scratches on it now I note.
Thanks for showing your new bench stops and amendments. I need something like this myself these days, I have come out of heavy machinery use.

Derek, is this a development of Jake Darvall's concept from years ago? I remember he referred to his toothed edge as 'fish scales/scaler' or somesuch. Nice execution of the idea.

Sam

Sam, I have no idea whether Jake did this. He has/had a very inventive mind. In fact, I have been searching for his website (as he is a superb Windsor chair maker), but the site closed some years ago. I wonder where he is? The idea for the bench stop is one partly from Chris Schwarz and partly from BenchCraft. Nothing original. Just my execution of it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/hand-planing-awkwardly-thin-timber-fish-scalers-38354?highlight=fish+scaler

There you go Derek, one fish scaler idea. I must say though, your execution is much more "elegant " - in the Scientific Method meaning of that word, as in: simpler, easier to use and more efficient in doing the job, than Jake's is, though I can see both versions could have their place.

As you said, Apricotripper was a prolific ideas man. I still have a full download of his #043 plane adaption; nice work.

Very nice indeed, Derek. I have to say, if it were me, I'd have used brass rather than SS, just in case of accidents, but you are probably less prone to doing stupid things than I am...

Sammy, good on Jake .... unfortunately his Photobucket account will not permit images, so I cannot view what he did. It appears he used a "fish scaler" rather than built a stop.

Steve, brass will not hold an edge well enough. It will soon dull. The steel is low enough to stay out of trouble. This idea is not original - there have been many similar stops over the years. BenchCrafted sells a steel one. It is quite safe.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My dad had one in his bench. It was spring loaded, screw operated. We used to love playing with it when we were little. My brother has it now.

On a slightly different note, I see you use a wooden spring to keep your dogs in place. I have the same. But mine have, over the years, yielded to the pressure of being permanently compressed. Most are still all right, but some have lost their grip. One has broken off. Have you experienced the same, by any chance?

The "springs" are easily replaced if they get tired.
Choice of material may have an influence on life. I have used Ash and Far Eastern Boxwood.

Best wishes,
David

2w.jpg

9w.jpg

That any better? I haven't copied all of Jake's post, just the two most salient images.

Sam

Attachments

• 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 602
  • 9w.jpg
    9w.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 602

Latest posts

Back