Stolen Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Jordan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just read another post in which members are urged to search for tools on eBay to get a cheaper buy! It should be blindingly obvious by now that the current plague of thieving toe rags who raid workshops and tradesmen's vans are financed and encouraged by idiots who buy nearly new tools from car boot sales, the bloke in the pub, and other iffy sources.
Yes, I own a few second hand tools but they came from people I know to be honest and in most cases other tradesmen I know well.
The rush to get a bargain is encouraging the lowest forms of human life to sink to even lower levels. There is no excuse for any tool user who buys from these animals in the hope of saving a few quid at the cost of someone else's misery.
Most woodworkers I know are true gentlemen (or ladies) and honest people,
So before making matters worse, please have a thought about the likely origin of your "bargain".

So how is anyone supposed to be able to identify stolen kit vs genuine sale from a series of photos. The scrotes aren't selling stuff for £20 they're selling it near market value so that it avoids "Obviously stolen".

Your anger is directed at the wrong side of these transactions and should solely be targeted at the scrotes who steal the stuff.

Kev":3crsa6fd said:
https://www.change.org/p/theresa-ma...tors-of-tool-thefts-from-tradesman-s-vehicles

Just thought this was a good opportunity to add a link. This is a petition calling for tougher sentencing for theft of tools. Knowing people who have had tools stolen the impact to them and their families is devastating. This is not necessarily the answer to the problem but if it helps then great.

I have just signed this, however, small smile, the next petition I was promted to sign afterwards was ‘immediate custodial sentence for anyone caught carrying a knife’. Perhaps not if anyone looks in my hand bag!

Mike Jordan":1hkgbp9o said:
It should be blindingly obvious by now that the current plague of thieving toe rags who raid workshops and tradesmen's vans are financed and encouraged by idiots who buy nearly new tools from car boot sales, the bloke in the pub, and other iffy sources.
<snip>
There is no excuse for any tool user who buys from these animals in the hope of saving a few quid at the cost of someone else's misery.

So we are all blind idiots then? Insulting people on an open forum is not going to get much support for your argument.

There are hundreds of legitimate reasons why tools come on to the second hand market, and plenty of people who make a reasonable living out of trading in tools.

... thieving toe rags who raid workshops and tradesmen's vans are financed and encouraged by idiots who buy nearly new tools from car boot sales, the bloke in the pub, and other iffy sources.

Nowhere did he say we are all idiots. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons why tools come on to the second hand market? Yes ........ and probably many illegitimate ones.

Depends on the type of tool, as well. Quite a few of us hand tool users have bought items from internet auctions, but the sort of stuff we're after are wooden planes, pre-plastic handled era chisels, saws with nice, curly handles - many of these have clearly not been used in a generation or more, but are coming on the market as the result of people clearing their departed grandfathers' sheds and the like.

Don't tar all internet auction buyers with the same brush.

The less honest will prefer to bury their heads in the sand, as I said, it is possible to make sensible purchases but not if you take the attitude that a bargain is worth turning a blind eye. If you have always avoided dodgy sellers you can't possibly be offended. And no I didn't imply that all forum members are idiots.

two years back my van was broken into.
They cleaned out three grands worth of tools in minutes which took me 30 years to collect.
one power tool was a very special present for my 40th birthday from ere indoors .
I was lucky in that the company I worked for helped replace some tools.
but I was struggling for some six months after trying to replace old or discontinued items.
used to remember saying to myself that ive got one of them in the van and realize half way to the van oh no it was robbed.
sorry to say but I'm glad that they did not catch the bas@@@ds that did it, otherwise it would be me in prison now not them,
because I would have shown them another use for a hilti drill.
most probably they sold my gear for a fix and some booze.

It is horrible and the b&*&*&*^& deserve a long sentence. For the OP - don't forget that not all of us are hoarders on here. Might buy something for one project and sell on or make an impulse buy and then realise that it has to go six months later. I don't have many other options other than E-Bay. Don't particularly like selling on there, but sometimes have to get rid of a few things.

I think although most likely not intended to class us all as idiots it could easily be interpreted as such and as someone who occasionally buys and even less frequently sells on fleabay I could find that insulting were it meant.

Most intelligent people especially if an enthusiast which you would expect UKW members to be are surely astute enough to know that if it's too cheap to be true then it's a "wrong un" and won't buy. It isn't difficult looking at feedback profiles to get at least a feeling whether genuine or not.
Sometimes the only place to buy or sell specific items is unfortunately that awful auction site!

The pub is a different matter and there will always be many willing buyers knowing the stuff is stolen and as said the OP is directing his anger at the wrong people IMO.

Police haven't the resources or motivation to catch the b*****ds and punishment is not severe enough if they do so it's a viscous circle

I lost my power tools during a break in, never saw them again, the police were pretty sure who was responsible but could not prove it.

Our vans are emptied at night, the building is alarmed and also has CCTV.

Will that stop them, I doubt it but it does help the insurance premiums.

What should be done, is if caught, there is a five year automatic sentence, all assets seized and sold, and no chance of early release.

Make the sentence hard enough for crime, the sensible ones may then think twice, the stupid ones deserve what they get.

I failed to notice any great anger in my original post but it seems that some are more astute than me, this issue has needed airing for some time. It is relevant to all of us who use tools. For the avoidance of doubt I am keen to draw attention to the fact that great distress is caused by these thefts and that any end user of stolen goods has simply encouraged further thefts. It's in all our interests to see a clamp down on offenders.
Once more then - I have not referred to forum members as idiots as anyone with reading skills will observe.
My sympathies go to anyone who has suffered from one of these thefts.

This might be a stupid statement! But why the hell can't VW or Ford or anyone else produce a van that is secure? Cant they make a solid box at the back and then have heavy duty doors and locks that simply cannot be forced open without fire brigade level equipment and a generator! I'm not saying securicor standard but surely the doors can be made to a much higher standard or is this just wishful thinking?

I think Ford Transits have a recall on the locking system, but it only gets done at service time. I'd want to get it sorted ASAP if I had one, seems trying to force the drivers lock unlocks all the rear ones. Pretty poor really.

Mike Jordan":10zfc1z3 said:
I failed to notice any great anger in my original post

I appologise then Mike, I interpreted it as a bit angry but clearly something you feel very strongly about, and quite rightly too, I agree with you these thieves have to be stopped, however I still think the only way to do effectively that is if they are caught to ensure adequate punishment. Even that won't stop the junkies who steal to get their next fix as they don't care if imprisoned, indeed many offend deliberately so they can get methadone when behind bars.

I think most of us on here are aware of what happens and wouldn't deliberately buy stolen items and as much as we need to reduce unscrupulous buyers we need even more to stop the scrotes getting their grubby hands on the tools in the first place.

I'm retired now and was lucky not to have my van broken into while working although I did have a couple of items stolen from under our noses while on site. I did empty my van without fail every night.

cheers
Bob

Back