A Harmless Diversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. A Footprint in this case. Now it's your turn :)

Attachments

• IMG_5690C.jpg
    IMG_5690C.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 486
patrickjchase":10rbpv4j said:
Andy Kev.":10rbpv4j said:
In any event, Cheshire Chappie trumped you with the bang on correct answer. :D

Wait, the description said that the metal part had a "rectangular cross-section", which would make it a firmer rather than a bevel-edge chisel.

The overall description said 'chisel', and the shape of the ferrule and blade shoulders was distinctively Veritas. As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected) Veritas don't offer a firmer chisel, though the bevels on the sides are not at a particularly steep angle. Thus, it's a b/e chisel, but only just - so Andy's description is pretty close. It was close enough for me to spot it almost instantly, with just a quick confirmatory rootle in google to make sure, mainly because I don't own any LV chisels.

I think Andy's original challenge would have been satisfied by the answer 'wood chisel', and he did say that some forumites may be able to spot the brand. I think he underestimated our woodworking nerdiness!

patrickjchase":2qfq0ool said:
Andy Kev.":2qfq0ool said:

Wait, the description said that the metal part had a "rectangular cross-section", which would make it a firmer rather than a bevel-edge chisel.
Well pointed out!

I'll have to amend the original now because although for my students the description as it stands is sketchable, it does mean a deviation from the reality.

Cheshirechappie":1h0i0ftu said:
patrickjchase":1h0i0ftu said:
Andy Kev.":1h0i0ftu said:

The overall description said 'chisel', and the shape of the ferrule and blade shoulders was distinctively Veritas. As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected) Veritas don't offer a firmer chisel, though the bevels on the sides are not at a particularly steep angle. Thus, it's a b/e chisel, but only just - so Andy's description is pretty close. It was close enough for me to spot it almost instantly, with just a quick confirmatory rootle in google to make sure, mainly because I don't own any LV chisels.

I think Andy's original challenge would have been satisfied by the answer 'wood chisel', and he did say that some forumites may be able to spot the brand. I think he underestimated our woodworking nerdiness!

As the original (i.e. for teaching purposes) objective of the original description is to achieve linguistic precision, I have to accept Patrick's point. It's a subtle one though as that distinction has evaded me for the approx. 5 years that I've been using the description. :oops:

Andy Kev.":1jfq6bxx said:
As the original (i.e. for teaching purposes) objective of the original description is to achieve linguistic precision, I have to accept Patrick's point. It's a subtle one though as that distinction has evaded me for the approx. 5 years that I've been using the description. :oops:

Just replace "rectangular" with "trapezoidal" and you're good to go.

My correction was similarly offered in the spirit of linguistic precision. I'm an engineer, so there's more where that came from :).

Sorry all, plastering.
Here goes-
I am about 16 inches long over all, approx an inch in diameter along my foot long round wooden handle, which has a metal ball and socket on the business end, and a metal square attached to the other end of the ball and socket. This square is approximately 4 inches across each side. I also have a detachable piece of 'dowelling' with a saw kerf lengthways along my 4inch length.

Who am I?

OK, not so good at this - but i reckon you should get it.

Wwe

Back