Bench vices for Hand Tool Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G S Haydon":xd3q6at0 said:
My broad advice is don't overthink and read too much. Get to it and have some fun.

Thanks for replying.

I keep telling myself to do the above, but will some much info around, it is easy to get sucked in.

phil.p":onvv9dmw said:
What is the benefit? I can't see any.

Then there probably isn't one for you, Phil. I've found the following:

1. As Bodgers said, ability to get your hand round work when putting it in the vice. Surprisingly useful, especially as one's hands get weaker.

2. Ability to clamp something that has a thicker part beyond the bit held in the vice. Doesn't sound much but it's been handy with the odd shapes in harp building.

3. For the width of the jaw, ability to hold an assembly (eg a frame) centrally in the vice.

4. For the wide dog holes aligned with holes on the bench, ability to clamp something a bit wider than usual.

5. Occasionally, cross-cutting something held in the vice without sawing the bench.

As usual it depends on what you do. The above have all been useful for me, but I am not trying to say they are right for everyone.

Keith

although ultimately a matter of preference, one argument in favour of starting out with a flush mounted vice is that it is easy to experiment with the alternative arrangement by adding a temporary rear jaw to see if you like it, whereas going the other way round is much less convenient.

I use a record style QR vice but mine is not flush with the face of my bench, this means I can get my fingers between the work piece and the bench (really helpful when putting things in and out of the vice), I have found a downside and that is when I have been dovetailing wide boards say 24" wide there is a lot of flex in the work piece as its not supported by the edge of the bench. I found a temporary solution was to make a long block that was a tight fit between the back of the piece and the bench and clamp the end furthest away to the edge of the benchtop. I will get round to making a moxon vice one day.

Matt

nabs":26rqh7qh said:
although ultimately a matter of preference, one argument in favour of starting out with a flush mounted vice is that it is easy to experiment with the alternative arrangement by adding a temporary rear jaw to see if you like it, whereas going the other way round is much less convenient.

I just replied but my post disappeared into the ether.
Exactly. You can always space the work away from the edge/apron with a bit of scrap, whereas you can't bring it in closer if you use a deadman or mounts on the apron or far leg.

I decided to make a new bench about a year ago now and as a working joiner, I could not see any improvement on a record quick release, but I also wanted the bench to look traditional, and have as little metal exposed as possible. the whole vice face was enclosed with an oak jaw which is 2ft long with the far end supported with a sliding wooden bar.
oNh2Aqr.jpg

SqFym0s.jpg

Wow! I would have never have thought of

a) completely enclosing the front jaw
b) adding a second guide rail (making into a super Nicholson style vice)

That's an interesting idea...

Having used said bench I can confirm it works a treat (even if the vice is at the wrong end for a right hander). Richard’s bench is also bigger than most by quite a margin and has a couple of great little touches that make it stand out; like the turn buttons which act as planing stops and the easy access storage at either end - genius.

Latest posts

Back