Sanding a bathroom floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoofy

Reaction score
My bathroom opepe hardwood floor is getting a bit scuffed and worn in places so I'm looking to either put a new finish straight over the old one, or maybe take the old finish off if I have to. I think the old finish is a lacquer (bonakemi?) I think I also put a stain on the bare wood before I put the finish on.

The floor is about 4 square meters so renting a drum sander isn't the answer as it's not straight forward with my toilet and sink complicating things. I do have a decent random orbital sander and plenty of spare time. Am I wasting my time with that?

I had a similar problem but a Maple kitchen floor with hard lacquer finish, give up in the end with the orbital and hired a floor sander.
The orbital had some effect but not a good enough to apply a new finish.
Good luck with the floor.
Jim

What type of floor sander would I hire? The area is too small for a drum sander. Would I get an edging sander or belt sander or is there another tool more suited to the job?

Rorschach":2bnl53yq said:
You might do well to use a heavy duty carbide scraper and then sand afterwards.
I have a heat gun. I'll try it tomorrow with a regular scraper and see if it looks like it might be a goer with a better scraper.

thats the problem hire sanders are all to big in a small area, start with a good 40 grit and work up the grit rating

Almost finished. Just put the first coat of osmo polyx on and I'll give it one more coat in the morning.

That's the last time I'm going to do a sanding job on a floor. Even though I tried to keep doors closed to limit the spread of dust, it's still managed to get everywhere.

The floor was hard work enough but next I have to dust the whole house.

Back