Identify strange old pliers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
This is from a local group to me; the poster says the name stamped on the handle is "SHAXESHAFT"

aa.jpg

It's a new one on me - I'd guess some kind of crimping tool.

Anyone able to positively identify it?

BugBear

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,476
I wonder whether they are notching pliers, used in sheet metal working to hold thin sheets of e.g. brass together before brazing/soldering? Used in musical instrument manufacture (trumpets etc, saxophones). The aim would be a straight cut in from the edge to a fixed depth.

Keith

Never saw one of these.
I wonder if this might be a cutter for thick hard wire? There seems to be a notch (where the cutting edges would be), the curved "lip" on the end working just as a guide to prevent the cutter from "opening-up" from the effort.
Does this make sense?

I wonder if they are designed to put a particular size/shape bend , either on the end, or a 'joggle' mid length, of a wire, rather than cutting it?

they look like leather notching pliers (similar to above but for leather so can be a bit less robust), used by watch strap makers and belt makers for putting notches in for buckles. the anvil is rather interesting though. not seen one like that before.

I've just spotted what is probably the maker, in a completed eBay listing.
Peter Shakeshaft of Warrington. The listing shows the name on a drill gauge and on the box.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2710784302
This item and at least one other live one for a similar item have the military broad arrow on, suggesting a C20 contractor.

Shakeshaft was a wire tooling manufacturer.
They could be grip and pulls for yanking wire though a die and cutting it. But i still reckon on them being ear cutters.
Tbink my inperial wire gauge is a shakeshaft, will look next time i open that box.

Ill ask a few folk next time im in the right pub. Not many left who worked that industry any more though.

Back