How much for a router!!??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":2e8v1xtm said:
David, I'm pretty sure that you will like it.

I have never found a reason to have an open toe on a router plane.

I like to see through the toe. I realize that's a bit of a diva demand as far as routers go, and I could do without it

No slight to the Canadian crew, but the Stanley router's style is far more attractive than the Veritas, and I can't part with that for now :?

The stanley that I have has all the pieces (toe foot and all, so it can be used like a closed router), I guess I'm just being a pig right now. IIRC, I bought the MF router when I did just because I found it for very little money.

Hello,

You can use the Veritas with an open throat. The cutter reverses on the toolpost, and the tool is used from the other way round.

Mike.

Seems there's a clear preference for the Veritas.
Could this be the best router plane design there is. ?

Is there any boutique plane makers making them ?

I always wonder why these things aren't square, so you could clamp some surfaced timber to your work.
Never used one so what do I know :D

I wish I sprung for a Veritas cutter with the last Axi package
Keen to see some other designs if you guys have some pics
That bowling ball router plane is sweet

Tom

The two router planes I use are the Veritas Large and a small woodie I built (links earlier). These have two different designs, not just in actual build, but the way they are used. If I were to redesign the Veritas/Stanley/LN style of router plane, it would be to reduce the size of the handles, or even remove them.

As I prefer (your boat may float differently), in use the router plane is pushed with the thumbs from behind. A low, flat area behind the blade is the ideal position. Handles that are high will unbalance the plane in use. You want to keep the centre of effort as low as possible.

This is the rear of a router plane I built. It illustrates what I am trying to say ...

C2_zps8634b225.jpg

Thumbs are placed on either side of the adjuster.

Working from low, there is more control and more power as the centre of effort is kept low and the vector force is closer to the cutter edge.

11_zps9c5dbd33.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a lovely looking router, Derek, far more attractive than the over-priced metal things!

Talking of over-priced, I looked at Ebay for the Veritas one as I could do with another router...

nqxzaeG.jpg

Shurely shome mishtake, no? (hammer) :lol:

Apparently, upping the price to a level where nobody will buy is cheaper for the seller than de-listing and re-listing, for which eBay charge a fresh fee. But it does look a bit steep!

I thought I'd check how much I paid for my Veritas Router (large) after seeing this thread. £110 back in August 2016 (versus £150 now... :eek: ). That was when I romanticised of hand tool use, but quickly came to realise I prefer the powered variety.... #-o

Grawschbags":1k778fwv said:
I thought I'd check how much I paid for my Veritas Router (large) after seeing this thread. £110 back in August 2016 (versus £150 now... :eek: ). That was when I romanticised of hand tool use, but quickly came to realise I prefer the powered variety.... #-o
I'll give £5 for your Veritas router then ;)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Back