Absolute scroll saw newbie has just been given a present.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandlin

Established Member
Reaction score
A relative came across a new in box Performance Power (ie B&Q i think) scroll saw and has generously passed it on to me because they know i like making things.

Never used one before, and I know that this make is pretty much bargain basement, but i'd like to get some reasonable use out of it. Its pretty much a pressed steel table and structure, but the action seems smooth, the motor is a little noisy but fluid and the nvr switchgear seems pretty robust.

My first project is going to be a thank you for the saw.... I'm thinking of cutting some big (200mm) letters and spelling out his housename.

Any advise on set up, use, etc greatly appreciated. I'm going to guess that like most woodworking machinery good blades are the place to start?

Any help gratefully received.

workshop heaven have a selection of pegas blades on special offer at the moment so got there and get a decent supply as you will break a few as you get used to the saw

Is this the one with the tension at the front?

Pinned blades only ?

As already suggested the Pegas blades are a massive improvement on the bog standard variety (often a couple of which are supplied with the saw)

Although fairly low spec it should still provide some good pieces

Plenty of videos on you tube

And there are loads of free patterns and much more on Steve Goods site
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/

From which you will find his catalogue

http://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/

Is this the one with the tension at the front?
I have no idea! I need to read the manual...
Pinned blades only ?
I think so, certainly the blade supplied has a pin across the blade end for locating in the saw....?
Although fairly low spec it should still provide some good pieces
Free is always good and if it provides some fun then i'm happy.[/quote]
Thanks for the links.

You will love it. I’m hooked already and only been scrolling since November last year. One thing I found confusing at first was blade size. The higher the number the thicker the wood it cuts. I have found that a number 5 blade cuts one inch wood nicely if you are slow and gentle. You will break a few blades though at some point. Makes you jump every time. I bought some number 9,7 and 5 blades as I don’t cut thin wood. That would be a lower number. Hope this helps a bit.

Everything helps Silversam - thank you.
I'll put my first blade in it at the weekend!

Back