The “keeper” router plane WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't hurt HSS tools with Brass, they work fine on a metal lathe to cut mild steel.

+1 for what "he" said about HSS tools on brass! I'm VERY impressed with the above metal turning on a wood lathe BTW. EXCELLENT looking results and something to be proud off. Makes me feel a little less "guilty" about the small amount of wood turning that I do on a metal lathe!

AES

Another use for your Knurling tool, if you have jigs or wooden lathe spindle jigs requiring regular relocation.

Make up some simple Brass or Aluminium centre inserts to mount in them, that way it doesn't matter how many times you remount or re-locate they will run true. Just did these this morning for some Test turnings and sample use.
centres.jpg

Attachments

• centres.jpg
    centres.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 653
Update... i finally got around to doing the brass plate to the top, so rough cut with a hacksaw then filed away to size.

bf7591411815e928f830510c9eefb154.jpg

0e139994692e8b00e2e5775dcf19c174.jpg

I scuffed up and used a punch to knock some ‘dents’ to the underside of the brass plate in the hopes to help the brass bond with the epoxy and then glued it on and shaped further using files.

f2dd04415f13a0394d8357fc8bcd5f79.jpg

0cd043942f3f29d2232f0c984f5c6dad.jpg

ba8ff2e1bae45963d74e354148e26ea8.jpg

I still need to sand/polish it up properly, but other projects are priority at the moment. But as a whole the plane functions perfectly!! Just been using it on some half blind dovetails on this sideboard/TV cabinet i’ve been making, and its been so satisfying to use.

f47073984f44c6ecf693414b2455c67b.jpg

7211fb8dcd1f16bb8169f9efb917c216.jpg

6990003872153b8f0d3ee1f4663d0fc1.jpg

VERY impressive Sawdust=manglitter. IMO your metal working skills are a perfect match to your woody skills. Very well done Sir!

=D> =D>

AES

AES":2b51by8d said:
VERY impressive Sawdust=manglitter. IMO your metal working skills are a perfect match to your woody skills. Very well done Sir!

Don't know about metalworking skills, it's the first time I've done anything with metal since school, but thank you anyway AES :D

I don't know about "since school" but it's obvious you've taken care and used skill (yes, it's that stuff you earn by doing things - in this case in metal) and IMO you have every reason to be proud of your self and your work. That tool's not only a keeper but assuming you have interested kids and/or family, it'll become an heirloom ("My Great Uncle Arfur made that himself!").

It just looks "lovely" and assuming it works (which I don't doubt) you really have "gorn n dunnit"!

BTW, I really value this Forum for all the stuff you see and advice freely given - just FYI, until I joined up here I didn't even know there was such a tool as a hand router plane.

AES

custard":thfvaw4k said:
:oops: Oops! I meant grades of brass, not grades of wood. Freudian slip there.

I think Musicman is a metallurgist, if he reads this maybe he could advise?

Not much to add to Sawdust's web research. You definitely do not want alpha brass (single phase), which is for rolling and drawing and doesn't cut freely. Alpha/beta brass (two phase, with the beta phase more brittle) is designed for machining as the chips break off. And preferably a bit of lead which helps the chips break off and lubricates a bit. You don't need lubricant/coolant with brass unless you are doing a heavy cut. But short rods that you get from ebay are likely to be the right stuff. Alpha brass is usually sold as sheet or wire, not rod/bar.

The technique Sawdust used is actually jewellers' lathe on steroids. Jewellers use gravers in much the same way woodworkers use scrapers. It can be very delicate and precise, as we see here. Nice work and great improvisation, Sawdust! I'm particularly impressed by your crisp knurling.

Keith

Latest posts

Back