Refinish table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a simple brush on dark mahogany finish that I can use to refinish a coffee table top.I have been asked to do this so that the table can display a bonsai tree.I really want to just flat off the original finish and apply a stain and then varnish to a sort of conker colour.Not the kind of thing I normally get involved with but I told the chap I would ask for advice any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you will be able to brush on a dark finish without getting it streaky. The colour needs to be achieved in the stain, so if you have a pre existing finish this will be difficult without taking the finish right back to the wood. Do you know what finish is on the table?

Kevin, given it's just a coffee table (so presumably of fairly modest dimensions) scraping off the existing finish should be doable in a reasonable amount of time and once you're down to bare wood you have more options as far as colouring goes.

If you must use a coloured varnish, liquid or gel, then many thin coats is the way to get a streak-free finish by brush or by wiping. It might take you three or four days to build to the colour you want depending on how warm your workshop is.

Thanks for the advice,I don't know what finish is on the table it looks like varnish but could be anything ,it looks like I may be getting myself in a mess by taking it on so I think I will pass on the job.If it were my table I would probably have a go but if I mess it up I don't think I would be too popular.

kevinlightfoot":b6o6iju9 said:
I don't know what finish is on the table it looks like varnish but could be anything
99.9% chance it's lacquer or varnish. You can do specific tests to determine which you're dealing with if you ever need to for a future project.

Back