Do you own any wooden moulding planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy,

Now I've had time to sit down and read your post properly, as well as have a look at your mother planes on the David Stanley thread, the only conclusion I can come to is that these were William Kendall of York's personal tools as the planes are stamped with his name with a standard incuse name stamp in the manner an owner would, as well as the zb border stamp.

At some point, possibly after William's retirement or his death, someone has bought (or been given) the planes and has moved around the country, but it is impossible to put a date on when this occurred.

Now, as for planemakers born in York and who then moved to Birmingham, I'm afraid I can't help you with. However, I do have a James Cottrell that was born in Birmingham in 1851, he was listed as a planemaker in Birmingham in the 1871 census, his daughter Sarah was born in York in 1877, and he was back in Birmingham for the 1881 census.

He then moved to Bristol sometime around 1885 where he remained until sometime between 1903 (when his daughter Maud was born in Bristol) and 1911 when he and his family appear in the census living back in Birmingham.

However, the planes could have changed hands several times between York and Birmingham!

I will check one of my sources over the next couple of days to see if I can find any planemakers born in York that ended up in Birmingham.

Pete.

Good on ya Pete :wink:
Wonderful nuggets of information.

As for the planes made by W Kendall you have the disadvantage of not seeing the over stamped initial "R"of Richard Kendall, his son on some of them which doubly confirms there use in the Kendall dynasty 8)
BPM 3 puts Richard as late as 1836 and born 1803.
So at age 33 he drops off the radar :?:
Whoever had them from then did look after them very well as they are in great condition.
One of the links which I need to confirm, but which is more than likely, is their being in the possession of WARWICK COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM (W.C.L.A.) and ALFRED MILLER M.B., Medical Superintendent from 1889-1923.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Hospital,_Hatton
Ever come across a name being institutionalised?

That James Cottrell info is quite intriguing.

Do you manage to get to the Stanley sales at all ?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

Two more;

George Reeves, Birmingham planemaker – Born 1860. Son born in York in 1893.
Charles Hodson, Birmingham planemaker – Born 1849. Son born in York 1877.

There's a fair few planemakers from Birmingham that worked in York but none the other way round that I can find.

I'll have another look when I'm less tired!

Pete.

toolsntat":1ojmg4d1 said:
One of the links which I need to confirm, but which is more than likely, is their being in the possession of WARWICK COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM (W.C.L.A.) and ALFRED MILLER M.B., Medical Superintendent from 1889-1923.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Hospital,_Hatton
Ever come across a name being institutionalised?

Yes, there's a Jonathan Willetts, planemaker listed in the 1881 census as being in the Aston Union Workhouse, 62 years old and listed as an imbecile - whatever that means?

There is also an F. Y. (no full name I'm afraid), planemaker of Birmingham in the Worcester County Lunatic Asylum at North Bromsgrove.......

My goodness, 4 years almost.
So anyway I am bringing this back to the top just in case any others may have information or find it useful.
Cheers
Andy

I have a set of Heilds skew rounds with dots on the wedges.

Pete

Back