Did I miss something?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My comment about thicker castings had nothing to do with flexing (or lack of), more the extra mass that some people want and can utilise.

I appreciate that this weight will not work for every occasion for everyone but it's there and proves the point that there are options available across the multiple vintages of Stanley planes.

Agreed Cheshirechappie and Shed9
Theirs a few more reasons a heavier one could be something to look out for
maybe some more valid if buying on eBay...

The heaviness part, gives more of a perception of quality or of a good one,when you pick it up
This could be better treated than others for a variety of reasons related to this quality feel...

And the fact that if the sole is out a bit, you won't have a lemon alltogther

To be honest I think it a lot of the want for the low knobs, because of this better feel, may be nearly all in the handles.
Its not the low knob I'm talking about, although I cant say I've tried one, and even though I turned a nice knob for a no.5
from afrormosia, I made the stem too thick, same as the 5 1/2 or a bit fatter still.
You can feel this stem is too fat for the plane, but other handles I've made, even rough ones are un-noticeable.

Those two 5 1/2's pictured, feel a lot different because one handle is more forward, slightly,
I can feel it big time as I have both stationed at the shooting board, toe raised about 3 or 4" on the stop block for easy grabbing.
its easier to lift the plane with more forward handle (the non painted lever cap one)
I cant see any difference in use though.
Does anyone else find a cool handle refreshing :D

Tom

So anyway, here I am driving back from the junk yard, box of scrappy planes including my low-knob Stanley safely tucked away in the back.

Get back home, carry the lot into the workshop and prepare to gloat.

All this stuff is filthy dirty, but lacking any real corrosion - all the usable bits will clean up nicely.

So, empty the box, line it all up - half a dozen scrap 4s and 41/2s which will yield a few knobs and handles...a Stanley 5 which is half decent and will tidy up without too much effort, just a new handle and some elbow grease...lever caps, both plated kidney and unplated keyhole.....a couple of dozen blades...and my low-angle Stanley.

I pick it up, still silently gloating and begin to rub off the top half inch of filth to reveal the markings......what's this?......"Union 4"......and what's up with this knob? Is that a glimpse of brass I see?

Alas! My lovely low-knob Stanley is in fact a Union 4 to which someone has fitted a brass door knob.

Another lesson learned.

And please don't laugh, this lot cost me £40!

Martin.

Gutted but a little wiser.

That is funny about the brass doorknob, sorry.

But no need to feel bad about a Union plane, not at all, they can be very good indeed. Read more here on Time Tested Tools, Union Planes and what I know about them.

As job lots go you did more than okay for your 40 quid so congrats.

Thanks ED - yes, I must admit that even through my (metaphorical) tears, that brass doorknob did make me smile.

I'm happy enough really - I've got a pile of junk that I can play with, at least one decent plane and possibly another couple including, I think, a No 3 under the grime, all good learning experience.

I'll go read your Union plane reference now, thanks.

Pity about the low-knob Stanley though.......

Martin.

Nice one!
And take comfort that you didn't let a rare old Stanley slip away!

MJP":9f54i765 said:
Thanks ED - yes, I must admit that even through my (metaphorical) tears, that brass doorknob did make me smile.

I'm happy enough really - I've got a pile of junk that I can play with, at least one decent plane and possibly another couple including, I think, a No 3 under the grime, all good learning experience.

I'll go read your Union plane reference now, thanks.

Pity about the low-knob Stanley though.......

Martin.

I wouldn't pine too much, they are lovely but not a huge loss. Plenty of them about and plenty of generic sellers oblivious to their slightly higher value. I've had low knob 5's for less than £20 in the last year. They are out there and there a-plenty.

I have no experience of Union planes myself but the old ones look the part. You might have still come out on top if it does what you want.

Back