Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thetyreman":2zi79sop said:
I made an oak sliding box in between christmas/new year, this was a gift for my brother, I used some of custards quartersawn oak for the base, the rest is american white oak, it was really appreciated.

I think that is a lovely reliquary . ! :D

NazNomad":3h9mbdud said:
Not even in the same league as that router plane above, but...

100_0495.jpg

SPOILER: https://s20.postimg.org/3pv0w59a5/100_0500.jpg

I dunnooooo Naz..... I reckon I know which one would get used more down my shed. :D

I wanted a low/wide front knob for my 5 1/2 and having only turned spindles on the lathe before I decided to have a bash at making one myself. I had a lump of Leadwood kindly given to me by Custard which was perfect - it came out pretty well in the end and was definitely a useful exercise in learning more about turning.

S3z135a.jpg

7rX8rqz.jpg

Bit of a mad, arty experiment. Huge end grain yew bowl, still a couple of coats to go before it'll be completely even.

Note the captive bit of oak, wonder how old that is!

Attachments

• yewbowllowres.jpg
    yewbowllowres.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 482
Dokkodo":3m3mxsl0 said:
Bit of a mad, arty experiment. Huge end grain yew bowl, still a couple of coats to go before it'll be completely even.

Note the captive bit of oak, wonder how old that is!

that would make an amazing eccentric sink in a bathroom.

thetyreman":1q23olmy said:
that would make an amazing eccentric sink in a bathroom.

youre the second person to say that. this ones a bit of an odd shape but I will bear that in mind, ive got another chunk from the same trunk.

Ok, so not up to all your standards but I did make something that's going to be used (as a firewood store in living room) :) I haven't permamently affixed the top yet as I'm unsure as to the best way to do it. Any assistance with that greatly appreciated.

storage2.jpg

storage1.jpg

ScaredyCat":9vkh7w9q said:
Ok, so not up to all your standards but I did make something that's going to be used (as a firewood store in living room) :) I haven't permamently affixed the top yet as I'm unsure as to the best way to do it. Any assistance with that greatly appreciated.

storage2.jpg

storage1.jpg

Contact adhesive should do it.

ScaredyCat":16ryztfb said:

storage2.jpg

storage1.jpg

Dowel & glue along the centre, leaving the edges floating to allow for expansion. Looks great by the way, nice one

Nothing too exciting as i'm not very creative... i try and think of something nice to make but struggle so i usually mess about and make things like these...

Made from pine i wanted to try slightly burning it but don't have a torch so used the burners on the cooker... didn't work too well.

o9r7sy.jpg

A scrap piece of maple i was squaring up when i thought it was the right size to make this, walnut round the edge.

vy733a.jpg

I have loads of 12" 5"x1" boards left over... after seeing the picture online i thought it would be good to have on a kitchen clock as we don't yet have one so i got to making one.

30wl0gj.jpg

This is the last (and first) thing I made using some quality hardwood.
Also, this is my first attempt at mortise joints.
Also, since making this I have discovered the 'slope'!

Attachments

• IMG_20180119_154359-min-min.jpg
    IMG_20180119_154359-min-min.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20180119_154448-min.jpg
    IMG_20180119_154448-min.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20180119_154508-min.jpg
    IMG_20180119_154508-min.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 205
El Barto":2od6e1gn said:
I wanted a low/wide front knob for my 5 1/2 and having only turned spindles on the lathe before I decided to have a bash at making one myself. I had a lump of Leadwood kindly given to me by Custard which was perfect - it came out pretty well in the end and was definitely a useful exercise in learning more about turning.

S3z135a.jpg

7rX8rqz.jpg

That's an interesting shape for the front knob Bart and I mean that in a positive way of course. Do you find it affects how you use the plane?

Bm101":21l01n52 said:
El Barto":21l01n52 said:

S3z135a.jpg

7rX8rqz.jpg

That's an interesting shape for the front knob Bart and I mean that in a positive way of course. Do you find it affects how you use the plane?

Yes I find it more comfortable but I can’t exactly pinpoint why. I first came across the low front knob from watching David Charlesworth’s DVD’s and it just seems to be a more practical and ergonomic shape, at least for me. It’s also not hugely different from holding the edge/body of the plane for finer work where you use your fingers as a fence. David could probably articulate better than me its merits, if he believes it has any of course! I also really like the way it looks.

Cheers Bart. It seems an intuitive shape which is what made me wonder. Thanks for the answer. Much appreciated!

Back