New Bandsaw Advice - RP BS400 / 350S / Sabre350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezman

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

I've pretty much made up my mind to buy a new BS.

The principal reason is for resawing - i will try to explain.

I currently have a BS250 - which has been brilliant (once i bought some tuffsaw blades) for dimensioning timber. It will be coming up for sale very soon if anyone is interested.

For resawing, the BS250 is limited in cutting depth and power, but just about does the job for current needs. My next projects involve resawing larger pieces than the BS250 can cope with.

So having been more than happy with the RP build quality, i plan to have a look at the three in the title as replacements. I have a basic expectation that all three will be more than capable of ripping and cross cutting to size. I also have a bit of a compromise. I will stretch the budget to the 400 (but not any more), but the footprint size is important. So I would be very grateful to hear from any forum members about the following.

What is the footprint size for each of the BS's
What experience do you have from resawing on any of the above?
Any advice on getting a discount / free wheel sets / free blades etc, or expected levels of RP show discounts? (i may venture to Snainton woodworking tomorrow, but they have a show / demo on the 24th Feb).
Any experience of Snaintons would be appreciated too. Do they have a good range on display (they seem to have most in stock). It's a 200 mile round trip, so I don't want to go if they have not a lot on offer on site.

Many thanks in advance
Ian

Ian

You may be able to get a discount on all the Record Power BS bandsaws soon, the new Sabre offerings are so much more advanced the BS units should be sold off by all the retailers very shortly, oh yes and a few of us as well.

Mike

great point Mike - I'm not really fussed about having the greatest and latest, as long as it does the basics and resaws 8-10" I will be happy.

I've read probably every thread on here about bandsaws (there are lots :) ) - and will 99% buy new, but could be tempted by a nearly new / pristine one if someone is thinking about selling a 350s or 400.

I have a 350S with correctly oriented bearing guides from Axminster, so nearly a Sabre, can't fault the old 350 now, its all I need for my hobby use.

Mike

do you do much resawing Mike?

The footprint of the 350 is ideal for me (and price) but i want this to be the last bandsaw i buy and resawing is the feature i s see as most important to me. If the 350 can handle it, then thats what i will go with.
Ian

A lot, especially Oak, but only with a Tuffsaws blade, I have also fitted the Axminster De-Luxe upgrade fence which is tall and makes a significant difference to getting the first cut off a log.

Mike

Quick pic to show the guides and fence:

Log.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2,729
Mike

It's quite interesting about the pricing for the new Sabre 350. The current BS 350S, before any show discounts, is £700. Your two upgrades cost just under £200, £145 for the Axminster De-Luxe upgrade fence (which is shown as "Last few remaining") and the Axminster bearing guides are £53. The new Sabre 350 is priced at £900 so it seems a no-brainer to go for that unless the user is happy with the basic BS350S. Or am I missing something?

Martin

Who is also looking to upgrade from an Axy 250.

With the Sabre series being new you will be unlikely to get anything much of a discount, I got mine for 870 at a show. However the BS400 at a show can often be had for as little as 800 or so, well worth considering if the reason for upgrade is needing larger capacity.

My shortlist was down to the BS400 or the Sabre 350, as the Sabre 350 has a small margin of extra capacity over the BS350, in the end what swung it was the table height (much more back friendly on the Sabre as it's higher) and the overall improvements to build quality and features.

But the BS400 has a significantly better capacity, it must be said.

Student

Your not missing anything, the Sabre is a new to the market bandsaw, I expect the BS350 and 400 to be phased out as stock is sold off, my BS350 only cost me £400.00 with a Yandles upper bearing guide, bought from a member on here about two years ago and has served me well, if I was buying now, knowing how much I use it I would be going for a new Sabre without any hesitation.

The Warco's look interesting, but the information on the site is a bit sparse, do they have cast iron wheels? important for inertia.

Mike

The BS400 has been well reviewed on UKw and I have had one from new 3 years ago. A really great bandsaw that you would be pleased with when using Tuffsaw blades. Don't forget the 5 year warranty and a good discount when sold at the trade shows. I has £100 off and free delivery, so think hard about a machine with good reviews.
Malcolm

Comparing the protagonists:

************Throat depth:************Maximum depth of cut.
BS350**********340***********************230********1.1Kw*******£699.99********Blade tension release lever.
SA350**********345***********************285********1.1Kw*******£899.99**************Ditto
BS400**********416***********************305********1.5Kw*******£999.99**************Ditto
SA450**********445***********************320********1.5Kw*******£1399.99*************Ditto
Startrite403****390***********************280*********1.5Kw*****£1499.99********No Blade tension release lever.

Mike

the Startrites are out of my budget range. If i can get the discounts people have indicated, then it will likely be the BS400.

Didn't get chance to get to Snainton's over the weekend, hopefully next weekend.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

The BS400 is on my shortlist too -- however, I keep glancing at this ..... as enthused about by Mr Parfitt

Newish on the market I know; just wondering if anyone has ideas about it ?

MikeJhn":2zydhea1 said:
Comparing the protagonists:

************Throat depth:************Maximum depth of cut.
BS350**********340***********************230********1.1Kw*******£699.99********Blade tension release lever.
SA350**********345***********************285********1.1Kw*******£899.99**************Ditto
BS400**********416***********************305********1.5Kw*******£999.99**************Ditto
SA450**********445***********************320********1.5Kw*******£1399.99*************Ditto
Startrite403****390***********************280*********1.5Kw*****£1499.99********No Blade tension release lever.

Mike
That's a very handy list for anyone who's in the market for this size of bandsaw.
Thanks.

You guys really should be looking at three phase (dual voltage) machines
at least a 20" 200kg model at that, if your forking out a GRAND!!!
You can get a whole lot more machine for that dough, and a clean machine at that!
A VFD is only 100 quid for a 3HP machine, and I can start my 24" wheeled machine easier than
my single phase 1HP drill with no load.
Three phase motors will keep the momentum up also, soft start, braking and soft stop if you want...multiple buttons
for safety, but mainly that three phase stuff is always better.
VFD's are as easy as wiring a 13a plug.
If you see a machine with 220 or 240v on the MOTOR nameplate (never mind the machine plate motor spec)
this means the machines are suitable for VFD use with a 13a plug.

You want a saw that can handle a decent blade, because a stout blade has more "beam strength"
so deflects less, thus causing less wear on your thrust guides, and general easier sawing because you can use a wider blade.
you need a wider blade for any sort of a sensible tooth size.
Weight is probably your best indication of frame strength .

Don't be worried about weight, its only at 300kgs that you have to use your brain a bit...
thats dismantling it first...If I were to pack my saw away now, I would remove wheels now and not only the table, as these wheels
add quite a bit of weight too.
And take care of marring the lower wheel shaft ..place it carefully somewhere.
If its only 200kg, which it would be closer to by then, it would be more manageable.
The 20" saw I had previously (ahem) had to be sent back double pronto with the foot down to get back to the shop...
Table off and dismounted the big switch on the spine.
I could tilt that thing onto its spine and down to the floor with one arm for a good/the most part of it, as it balances there is no weight
when tilting these, compared to fighting with a machine with bending legs, or silly deflecting cabinet base that
doesn't have any centre of gravity and is top heavy :p
Just have something handy to lay down it onto , and you're good.

I think these floor standing machines are easier to move than the stand mounted ones, as they dont
flex or deform while during that "mid tilt" moment whilst getting it into the trailer/van

Good luck
If adamant on spending new, test the thing as soon as your comfortable with it all.

Tom

Back