honing stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse 2nd

Established Member
Reaction score
So today I had a bit of time to spare, so turned out an old oil stone I purchased at a boot sale last summer for a couple of quid. The box lid was missing and the stone was caked in dirt, although looking like it hadn't been used. The box bottom was a rubbish pine. So I decided to split the wood and take out the stone to clean and make a new box.
Imagine my surprise and delight when I found this label on the reverse side of the stone. Protected in the box for all those years.

Attachments

• ASSE.jpg
    ASSE.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 731
Nice!

I wonder if it's possible to remove it. If not, or if you don't want to turn the stone over, you could print a square-on photo or scan and attach that to your box.

You might consider selling it on peebay and finding another one. Stones with clean labels are bringing a fair amount of money right now. No guarantee that they will in the future, though.

D_W":3w2vfxg0 said:
You might consider selling it on peebay and finding another one. Stones with clean labels are bringing a fair amount of money right now. No guarantee that they will in the future, though.

Depends on how much a fair amount is. It didnt cost me anything and I know its a excellent hone. I think I would get the label off to preserve it and use the stone, unless it was worth £100 or more.

It's probably worth about that right now if it's 8 inches long. If it's 7, slightly less.

8 inch stones usually have the label in the middle.

That's a lovely find, congrats!

But ask yourself how much is the 'romance' of it worth to you? Excellent sharpening materials genuinely are dime a dozen, and the (pretty significant) profit could go towards a lot more useful kit than just a single honing surface.

Forgive me, but is the proof of the pudding in these washita's, not in the use?
I thought they all differed slightly, and some may have been a bit on the fine side..
Ill go watch those videos of David w's again to clarify if that's correct sometime.
I quite like mine anyway :)

Back