Turning Deer Antler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Making Shavings

Established Member
Reaction score
I've turned cow and buffalo horn before, and that's fine.
Have been given a small amount of deer antler. Probably going to use it for small knife handles, plugging/reinforcing the end with a small brass ferrule.
Has anybody ever turned deer antler before? What's it like to work with?

Making Shavings":1b6ine12 said:
I've turned cow and buffalo horn before, and that's fine.
Have been given a small amount of deer antler. Probably going to use it for small knife handles, plugging/reinforcing the end with a small brass ferrule.
Has anybody ever turned deer antler before? What's it like to work with?
It is hard and will take the edge off tools quite quickly advise you open the workshop door as it stinks. The centre can be a little mottley to look at and may need a little ca to fill the pores

Haven't turned it but I've cut it. Stinks like a long-dead deer.

The dust is bad to breathe so wear a good mask! If you don't like the rough surface from the porous interior a CA finish can fill it. If you want some of the "bark" to show you'll need to drill off centre. We used HSS bowl gouges and it isn'y that bad to turn.

Pete

+1 on the stinky and dust.

Not difficult to turn but quickly takes the edge off std HSS tools, carbide cutters are much better and if you don't have one you can buy the replaceable tips easily enough use. a bit of mild steel bar and make your own.

Just to reiterate the point about stink and dust. If it's a "found" antler, then it's potentially more than just a nuisance, as heaven knows what pathogens could be growing in/on the antler. Wear a VERY well fitting mask, and wash well after hadling.

Back