Restoration Query - Rustic Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruthieb77

Reaction score
I have an old carpenter's bench which I want to convert into a kitchen table. I want to clean it up but without losing any of its rustic charm. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of sanding it lightly and then using wire wool and beeswax to finish. Would this do the job or do I need to do something completely different?
Thanks!

I'd use a combination of pure tung oil and pure turpentine with 0000 steel wool or steel wool substitute, it shouldn't destroy any patina, any dirt and grime should easily come off.

ruthieb77":1vmhjoof said:
I have an old carpenter's bench which I want to convert into a kitchen table.

I think on this forum we are rather more familiar with doing the reverse :lol:

Hi again, if I clean it up with a "reviver" mixture, will I still need to finish/seal it with something? If so, what should I use? Thanks!

ruthieb77":37wg2evi said:
Hi again, if I clean it up with a "reviver" mixture, will I still need to finish/seal it with something? If so, what should I use? Thanks!

It's not normally necessary, as the mixture contains oil (linseed oil or tung oil) which will dry and give a bit of a lustre if you rub it with a cloth. You could add some wax polish over it if you prefer.

Whether that is all you need for a table top depends on how you use it and look after it. A simple oil finish wouldn't be as tough as a polyurethane or acrylic finish, but if you want the bench to carry on ageing / gaining patina, and don't leave spilt wine on it or put down hot pans direct from the hob, you should be fine.

Although people don't always think of washing and wood in the same thought a simple wipe down using warm, soapy water in a damp (not wet) sponge can do wonders!

I would advise not sanding unless you know what it'll do. Sanding will remove material from the high spots and won't touch recesses, dents etc. and will tend to reveal much lighter bare wood where it abrades, which gives a very characteristic (and not particularly attractive) look in many cases.

Do bear in mind that if you expect it to withstand spills (even plain water), hot plates and other normal food-related wear and tear that you really do need to give the surface a proper finish, just as you'd expect to have on a commercial kitchen table. Just wax is generally not sufficient protection for a working table unless you don't mind that it gets stained, and if you wax first you'll have a devil of a time using anything else afterwards.

Back