Router table videos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to be honest I am a tad disappointed, 76 people have viewed this thread but not one single comment has been made.

I was dubious of posting my videos and I only do them in the belief that someone might find my stuff of interest but I don't want to make myself look silly posting stuff that is of zero interest to those in the forum.

I understand the videos are amateurish but I will never improve unless people comment on them even if you think they are awful.

I sincerely hope this post does not offend anyone.

Thanks
John.

I’m not really sure what comments you were expecting John?
There have been lots of posts on making router tables, fences etc. debates on the types of insert plates (or whether indeed you need one) and also the value of commercial ones you can buy so I’m guessing people are just having a look at yours and don’t see any need to comment. I would have fallen into that category if it had not been for your second post.
On a positive note, your videos are fine. Yes homemade but nothing wrong in that and they convey the tables you have made. Without wishing to offend (and I wouldn’t call myself an expert woodworker), your tables come across as very basic. If they work for you then brilliant, but I’m sure people could comment about the flatness of the table surface, smoothness of the fences etc. and so I think the lack of comments is probably more down to not wishing to be critical rather than disinterest.
In terms of making a fool of yourself, absolutely not and your videos will be of be of interest to many here, but just as I’m interested in a lot of posts, I don’t tend to comment unless I have a question or I think it is an exceptional post.
I find this forum very much geared to content rather than presentation, So if there is a link to a basic video with good content, it will get better reviews than a slick video with less content.
Irrespective of my opinions on your set up, perhaps a video of what you can make on your tables would put things in perspective?
If I have in anyway offended you than I unreservedly apologise. The only videos I have ever posted (not on this forum) was of a piston fit tray in a jewellery box and how a puzzle box opens - neither lasting more than 45 secs and so full marks for 3 videos.

I enjoyed your videos, thanks for taking the time to make them.

One thing I would say is try to keep it all in one video. The multi-part thing was mostly a restriction for when video length was limited.

Glynne":1nivndkn said:
perhaps a video of what you can make on your tables would put things in perspective?
If I have in anyway offended you than I unreservedly apologise. The only videos I have ever posted (not on this forum) was of a piston fit tray in a jewellery box and how a puzzle box opens - neither lasting more than 45 secs and so full marks for 3 videos.

Many thanks for your comments gratefully received, you have not offended me at all just glad to get a response.

I have made other videos showing myself making things, so these were just about the tables that I use. Although the tables are basic and of little interest to expert users there may also be a less experienced woodworker who might watch and think "oh that's a good idea, I might try that".

A few weeks ago I made a video on changing the bearings on an ELU mof96E router, at the time I thought it might be a waste of time and no one would be interested but a few days later someone thanked me saying that they had an unusable router with a duff bearing and following my video now had a working router. That made me feel good that I had helped someone.

transatlantic":1mf39k6n said:

One thing I would say is try to keep it all in one video. The multi-part thing was mostly a restriction for when video length was limited.

Thanks for the comments

It's an eternal problem, if you make the video too long people get bored and turn off, if you make it short people wish you had gone into more detail and explained things more.
I am on a slow BB connection and it takes simply ages to upload them to Youtube even though I reduce the file size as much as possible with Handbrake.
When I tried doing one in a long single video it took 1/2 a day to upload and it kept losing my connection.

If I do them in parts I can work on the next part while the first is uploading.

scrimper":wy4gezay said:
transatlantic":wy4gezay said:

Thanks for the comments

It's an eternal problem, if you make the video too long people get bored and turn off, if you make it short people wish you had gone into more detail and explained things more.
I am on a slow BB connection and it takes simply ages to upload them to Youtube even though I reduce the file size as much as possible with Handbrake.
When I tried doing one in a long single video it took 1/2 a day to upload and it kept losing my connection.

If I do them in parts I can work on the next part while the first is uploading.

Righto

Latest posts

Back