Burr off cuts required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to turn some spheres from burr embedded in coloured resin. Been looking at some videos and the results can be stunning. Finished size about that of a cricket ball if anyone can help with some dry suitably sized off cuts to experiment with. Some cool videos of the process on Youtoob.

Stuart

This is the type of project I am hoping to duplicate.

Attachments

• Spheres.JPG
    Spheres.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,558
Someone must have something suitable? I am loathed to cut up a full burl so offcuts or small burls are the way to go.

I think you may struggle as small pieces like this often get used for pen blanks (as grain continuity is less of an issue), key-rings, sliced for inlay, light pulls, pendants, ear rings etc etc etc.

There are loads of uses for these ‘off cuts’ so as a consequence they don’t hang around long in the hobby workshop.

Sorry I can’t be more help but hopefully that provides some insight on the silence!

S

Now I live too far away to make shipping practical in any case, but you might want to consider how your message is read

If you had written something like

Burl offcuts wanted

or

Want to buy some small burl offcuts

or

Want to trade some small burl offcuts

or

Does anyone have any small burl offcuts available

it'd seem a very different message compared to 'required', which is almost Dutch in it's direct compulsory tone :mrgreen:
The fact that the drying has to be done before you'd deign to accept them doesn't help, does it?

jurriaan":2768xd80 said:
Now I live too far away to make shipping practical in any case, but you might want to consider how your message is read

If you had written something like

Burl offcuts wanted

or

Want to buy some small burl offcuts

or

Want to trade some small burl offcuts

or

Does anyone have any small burl offcuts available

it'd seem a very different message compared to 'required', which is almost Dutch in it's direct compulsory tone :mrgreen:
The fact that the drying has to be done before you'd deign to accept them doesn't help, does it?

Sorry if the tone was a little brusque, it was my assumption, wrongly, it would seem that payment would be made as a matter of course. My mistake.

You could try one of the turning blank suppliers. Home of wood may be worth a go. I am not sure whether he supplies burr blanks, but probably gets some burry bits that end up as scrap. Failing that, maybe Stiles and bates or turner's retreat for small blanks.

I have contacted a few suppliers however they have all said "to come and look" unfortunately none are within a reasonable distance. I could buy a couple of burrs but I am loathed to cut up a full burr for an experiment.

Lazurus":3kvvlrdn said:
I have contacted a few suppliers however they have all said "to come and look" unfortunately none are within a reasonable distance. I could buy a couple of burrs but I am loathed to cut up a full burr for an experiment.
You could try a couple then use the burr offcut for something else?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hi, i'm going to state the obvious but there are poplar burr offcuts on ebay. they look very similar to what heath knuckles uses in his youtube videos. they are quite pricey for what you get but depends how desperate you are. by the way if you're not familiar with heath knuckles he does some amazing resin hybrid turning. tell you what though lazurus you're no slouch yourself, that blue resin sphere looks very impressive mate.

Hi there give me a call some time I have lots of burr oak, Elm and others that I set aside for just this application 07752 909500

Back