Planer thicknesser for less than £1,000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While a new machine is attractive, modifications to the other outbuilding will mean I gotta save some money somewhere. I'm guessing no one has much negative to say about a kity 1637? Ive seen a kity 637, but broken guard and didn't look great. It looks like these Kity's are selling in the region of £400-£500 judging by ebay right now. is that good? seems it in comparison to the sedgwicks, and doesn't seem to need as much space behind the machine as that great Sedgwick pole out the back of the fence on the 12" models.

But I am in no rush, I could take a couple of months on this purchase.

Have you managed to find anything?

I am looking for something similar, but don’t like the look of anything that you have to move the tables to get at the thicknesser. I have been using my friends Sedgwick so have possibly been spoilt!

Can anyone convince me otherwise about flip up tables?

I think one piece flip up tables should be OK, its when the tables have to split that trouble starts.

Has anyone modified their flip top table planer to access the thickener without flipping the tables? Would not seem to be a difficult project.

Mike

im still bidding, some have posted that they dont like flip tables, o dont like them flipping forwards, it appears flipping backwards, and fixed beds, are more commom on 310mm planer beds than 250mm.

lot of sedgwicks come and go on ebay, many dont have planer guards, or use a modified hood for planer guard and dust extraction. many wont show thicknesser beds in photos and ive seen a few that are quite rusty, seems thicknesser beds are either more prone to rust or simply out of sight out of mind for looking after them. seems electra beckum and scheppach planer beds open towards the back, on models currently on sale at 250mm planer bed. not sure about sipp, charnwood, fox, axminster all open to front.

I would hate to even contemplate lifting a 300mm wide cast iron planer table. POP there goes one.

Mike

MikeJhn":3kk6xwes said:
There does not seem to be an easy way to PM someone with the new Format

You mean other than clicking on their avatar and then clicking on the little envelope icon in the bottom right of the window that pops up?

MikeJhn":227e521w said:
I would hate to even contemplate lifting a 300mm wide cast iron planer table. POP there goes one.

Mine is 410mm, cast iron, with both tables joined together.

Not a problem, it's spring assisted, a ten year old could easily raise and lower it with one hand.

anyone got any advice on what to look out for on an old wadkin 12x7. seems to have fence, guards not too rusty. i keep seeing dc braked on the older machines, recal something about breaking at switch off damaging the engine if it was breaked a certain way. does that apply?

custard":k4a4jhdg said:
MikeJhn":k4a4jhdg said:

Mine is 410mm, cast iron, with both tables joined together.

Not a problem, it's spring assisted, a ten year old could easily raise and lower it with one hand.

Hi Custard, what make is yours? Thanks

Mine's a Felder, but what I was really trying to say is that a heavy, joined together planer table, shouldn't be a problem in terms of lifting and lowering, provided it's been correctly designed and engineered.

I constructed a base for my PT and fitted it with these: https://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatal ... ml#SID=308 I had to put an upstand all around the workshop platform, because if I nudged the PT it would run away to the edge, very manoeuvrable, but with the locking mechanism, both the wheel and angle lock, solid enough for any work.

Mike
I took your advice, got an old startrite on 4 of them, they work a treat, thanks

Back