For those of you with a sloppy mitre gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those black circles, are they for fine tuning the width?

I bought something similar from Rutlands where you could adjust the width with a grub screw, they work great but the overall length is about 20cm, which I suspect is too short for a decent table saw sled.

Yes, that's what they're for. I bought a couple a few months ago, great things for cheap money.

OscarG":1z5atie7 said:
Those black circles, are they for fine tuning the width?

I bought something similar from Rutlands where you could adjust the width with a grub screw, they work great but the overall length is about 20cm, which I suspect is too short for a decent table saw sled.

Thats right. They're often some kind of cam, but these are different, they're like a sprung washer with a countersink so that the washer expands as you drive the bolt in.

Wish I had seen these before going to the trouble of fixing my axminster gauge. I used set screws which do work great, but it was a tricky job.

Rorschach":fwch5m7q said:
Wish I had seen these before going to the trouble of fixing my axminster gauge. I used set screws which do work great, but it was a tricky job.

I used the grub screw (with ball bearing) approach too. But it didn't sound good, you could hear the ball bearing scraping against the sides which are only aluminium for my saw, so decided against it. This thing is only plastic, so less wear

transatlantic":2id52aj1 said:
Rorschach":2id52aj1 said:

I used the grub screw (with ball bearing) approach too. But it didn't sound good, you could hear the ball bearing scraping against the sides which are only aluminium for my saw, so decided against it. This thing is only plastic, so less wear

Mine is onn the bandsaw which is cast iron so given how much I use a mitre gauge the wear is not an issue.

For my sleds I used some hardwood runners which seem to work fine, a tight fit is not so much a problem for them anyway.

Back