Workshop air filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's of any help at all, I can only say that after a lot of bu--erring about with bits n bobs, I gave up and bought a Record air cleaner which was also about 130 quid equiv (VAT here is only 8%, and was bought cheaper coming from the German Record dealer than from the local Swiss Record dealer -including shipping).

My cellar shop has a very low headroom (lower than that guy on Youtube whose cleaner didn't work) and my Record is mounted almost flush to the ceiling - about 10 mm if memory serves.

I also have a cold blow fan/fan heater which is also at ceiling level and runs "sometimes" and that is set up so that with its oscillating flap it directs air in the general direction of the Record inlet which in turn then exhausts cleaned air out into the "general" cellar area (see below). At 1.85 M tall (just about 6ft 2 ins) I can JUST about walk upright under the Record. I didn't use the supplied hanging chains or hooks, but made 4 "slim-line" MS brackets straight into the ceiling.

My shop is much bigger than many (but it's also shared with the CH unit, a 5,500 Ltr oil storage tank, washing machine and tumble drier, plus a lot of gardening tools hanging on one wall, AND the air raid shelter!) so although the Record is a bit over-specced, I can see from cleaning the carp off the filter regularly that it is definitely cleaning the air. Because it has built-in timers (which would have been more DIY fiddling about) after closing up the shop for the night I leave the Record running for an hour on slowest speed.

I don't have proper DE equipment, but what I do have is a shop vac set up with a cyclone, and individual plug ins for the disc/belt sander, drill press (when used for sanding), small bench top band saw, small router table, and even the scroll saw. I do not have a planer/thicknesser or a table saw, but for rough wood cleaning up I do also use a hand electric plane which (after a LOT of fiddling about!) also plugs into the shop vac/cyclone.

My set up is far from perfect, but to me, the key (AFTER starting off extracting as much dust as possible from the source as it's used) is the Record air cleaner. So much so that I'm thinking of buying a second Record - as I say, my cellar is large (not that I get to use any more than about one third of its volume unfortunately)!

HTH

Please note, I'm NOT an expert on this subject by any means - far from it. It's been a long process of trial and error. From the chap's Youtube whose air cleaner didn't work, my guess is simply that the fan he chose (volume of air moved through the filters) was simply MUCH MUCH too small, even for a small shop.

AES

Edit for P.S. Please also see the excellent sticky by member siggy 7 which you'll find at the top of the "Buying Advice/Tool Reviews section. VERY useful info, well worth reading.

AES

Back