Cooksley Combination Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm mainly a metalwork, engineering person, can usually be found on the mig welding forum. :D

I'm starting to do more woodwork now and I'm trying to build up some tools. I had been using a Lidl/Parkside table saw which was adequate for my use. But after a recent long winded warranty claim with this saw I realise how rubbish it is and I want to buy something better.

I'm going to look at a pillar drill this week & the seller also has a Cooksley combination machine for sale.

(I had a link to the ad here but it won't let me post it. :? Search gumtree for 'Cooksley woodwork saw and moulder' to see the ad.)

I've been struggling to find much info online on these machines but what from what I gathered there is normally a saw, planer/thicknesser & a spindle moulder on these combo machines - is this correct? There is no mention of the planer & I don't see one in the pictures but I don't think the seller knows anything about woodwork machinery. :roll:

Can anyone help with info on Cooksley equipment or what to look out for on the combo machines.

Thanks, Turbo

Hi Turbo,

About 16 years ago when I closed down the family business, much to my disgust I finished up giving our Cooksley Universal away for free because I had nowhere to store it and all the local guys were wary of 3 phase machines. It is a solid piece of kit, heavy cast iron construction and needs minimal maintenance - in the days they were still made they were classed as high quality machines. Only major thing we had to do to it was to take out the motor for the saw and have it serviced and the bearings changed to sealed types (employees were a bit overzealous with the grease gun on the original bearings and motor filled up with greasy sawdust!).

The surface planer handled material up to 12" wide and could take out 5/8" rebates no problem. The thicknesser (2 speed feed) would handle 12" wide x 8" thick no problem and on slow feed speed left a surface needing minimal sanding. The cutter block had three blades. With the right attachment you could do slot mortices (we didn't have that attachment).

Table saw could accommodate blades up to 16" diameter and a sharp TCT blade left a pretty good edge.

The spindle moulder used standard Whitehill blocks and could also accommodate a dovetail bit (ours had a dovetail jig and a stair trenching jig).

There are 4 motors in it - 1 for the circular saw, 1 for the planer/thicknesser cutter block, a 2 speed one for the thicknesser feed and a small one below the circular saw top for the spindle moulder.

I think I may have a copy of the rather basic manual for it in .pdf format - if you are interested let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Hope this helps.

skelph

Edit: just seen the Gumtree post you added so disregard what I said about planer/thicknesser. The one on Gumtree looks like a newer machine than the one I had.

do you have the space for this? it is a large step up from a lidl tablesaw, not least in the room required to operate it. I have not lifted one, but if I needed to move one of the machines nearer to my garage door, I would choose the lidl!

I urge you to be realistic, because I am very short of space, and it is more frustrating than not having certain bits of machinery.

Skelph - thanks for the info, that's what I was hoping to hear. From the (bad) photos it looked like a sturdy bit of kit, it's good to know it is a strong simple piece of British engineering. :D
I really only need the saw part and I don't know much about spindle mouders but I may use it - is it effectively a mounted router? It's a pity the planer is missing as I would like one of those & they fetch silly money over here!
Thanks for the offer of the manual, I'll send you my e-mail by PM. I'm going to look at it on Wednesday so I can swot up on it before I go. =D>

marcros":2rckds6t said:
do you have the space for this? it is a large step up from a lidl tablesaw, not least in the room required to operate it. I have not lifted one, but if I needed to move one of the machines nearer to my garage door, I would choose the lidl!

I urge you to be realistic, because I am very short of space, and it is more frustrating than not having certain bits of machinery.

I am lucky in that I live on a farm with several unused sheds at my disposal so space is not a problem! :D The shed I use for larger woodwork projects is impossible to secure so the bigger & heavier the saw is the less chance there is of it getting nicked! The cooksley is on wheels so I can put it in the corner when I'm not using it.

I might keep the Lidl in case I have to do a job away from home. I have ended up with 3 Lidl saws, 2 of which I'm selling to fund the new one. :wink:

Just an update to this.
I viewed the saw & I'm fairly certain it is a rebadged Whitehead junior 12" saw with a spindle moulder fitted. The original spindle moulder is long gone & a quality Elu router is fitted in its place.
It is unusual in that blade is fixed but the table tilts 45° in both directions.
It also comes with a box full of spindle moulder cutters & I think part of the original moulder head.
I managed to come to a good deal on the saw & I'm collecting it this week! :D

well done, hope you get much enjoyment from using it and a good few years service from it

Back