extension costs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrahamF":1vqwiezi said:
O.K, I see where you're coming from. I've never employed a main contractor for anything, I do what I can myself and pay other trades in cash (bricky, plasterer, sometimes roofer if large) when necessary. The mini digger and powered wheelbarrow hire for footings only cost £100 for the day and retired mate drove the digger for free :)

The price I quoted was for this photo below. Add-on cost if it were a house extension would be extra 3 ft of face brick - plus backing up with block, ties & insulation and plasterer, windows would also be extra. The rest (plumbing, wiring, flooring etc.) I would DIY. Price quoted obviously didn't include the paving.

Nice and tidy job though. :D

I found a big difference between builders who were part of a ‘company’ who would do everything, design, plan, build etc, compared with having someone do plans then a builder in to do most stuff and subs for other trades, and me sourcing all fixtures and fittings. May sound obvious but the second approach was c. 30% cheaper. Cost me £20k to convert old kitchen into utility room and shower room, including taking all walls back to bare granite, digging up 125yr old concrete floor and laying new insulated and damp proofed one, taking roof back to joists, replacing some, new sarking and slates, drains connections for toilet etc. Total area 13m2, so £1500/m2. 2011 Aberdeen prices.

Fitz.

PS. I used an architectural technician to do my drawings as they were pretty simple and I knew what I wanted. Was about 50% the cost of an architect.

Fitzroy":233k7at1 said:
PS. I used an architectural technician to do my drawings as they were pretty simple and I knew what I wanted. Was about 50% the cost of an architect.

One thing I forgot to mention about the DIY houses, as banks/mortgages were involved, and no NHBC certificate, one bank wanted a surveyor's and the other an architects "supervised certificate" These proved useful when houses were sold in later years. No such problem with extensions though.

GrahamF":3pudafje said:
. No such problem with extensions though.

That's not always so Graham.

It depends very much on the size and type of extension as well as whether part of permitted development etc however in the case of building work which is a habitable room, has had electrical or plumbing work and especially if subject to building control approval which it almost certainly would need at least in England, when selling you would be asked the appropriate questions and proof with the relevant documents.
If those aren't available it could certainly affect a sale. At the very least the potential buyers would be asking for price reductions.

Bob

Lons":3cyp62x7 said:
GrahamF":3cyp62x7 said:
. No such problem with extensions though.

That's not always so Graham.

It depends very much on the size and type of extension as well as whether part of permitted development etc however in the case of building work which is a habitable room, has had electrical or plumbing work and especially if subject to building control approval which it almost certainly would need at least in England, when selling you would be asked the appropriate questions and proof with the relevant documents.
If those aren't available it could certainly affect a sale. At the very least the potential buyers would be asking for price reductions.

Bob

Yes, sorry, I was referring to the extensions I had done as opposed to the houses built. I can see where a "customer" would require paperwork these days.

Having been a DIYer for most of my life, it appalls me when I hear what some friends have paid out for quite simple jobs even when they were within PD so regs. minimal.

In Scotland it’s all about warrantable work, even if planning permission is not required if it’s warrantable you have to provide details/drawings to show how you conform to reqs, and apply for a building warrant prior to starting, then there’s an inspection for sign off on completing and issue of the warrant. Selling a house in Scotland where there has been warrantable work but without the warrant is about impossible.

I’ve done plenty of stuff myself and had to get a warrant for about half of it. It’s not a bad system.

F.

GrahamF":201iheen said:
Having been a DIYer for most of my life, it appalls me when I hear what some friends have paid out for quite simple jobs even when they were within PD so regs. minimal.

There lies the whole story Graham. Most competent DIYers, me included look at what we can do for in £s and use that as a basis for our opinions however a DIY price is miles away from a professional company as far as actual costs are concerned.

* If you already have the tools and equipment then wear and tear / replacement won't be factored in to the cost unless they are hired. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's used a DIY project and persuaded myself I'm saving money so I can buy that lusted after tool, maybe used the same argument on swmbo. :wink: Nails, screws, fixings, consumables, clothing, pop equipnent etc comes from our shelves and if we have to go to the shops to get them what about the petrol and couple of hours it took to do that?
* How many cost their time into a DIY job, I mean REALLY cost their time at a realistic rate! Todays generation are different and bring in trades people without a thought usually with the argument " I earn £s an hour at work, why would I want to spend my limited time off when I can pay someone to do it for me". As someone who had to do DIY because we struggled financially in the early days, I find some of the things my kids spend their hard earned on difficult to understand. (hammer)

I'm an avid DIYer, I turn my hand to most things and am rarely beaten which gives me a lot of satisfaction as does the money I save but I'm also a retired builder having owned a small company for some 20 years so I'm experienced enough to know the difference. I always priced my work fairly but certainly wasn't cheapest, had a great reputation for quality work and many repeat customers, a lot of whom remain friends. They got value for money, I got a decent living and profitable company who they knew wouldn't cut corners and would still be around years later if there were problems.
The only way I could do that was to factor in all the relevant costs of running a business. If you want a list of those, Id be happy to list them, it's a long list!

In general people might be surprised by what owners of small companies actually make if it's broken down to an hourly rate as when all the out of hours spent collecting materials, planning, phone calls estimates and paperwork is added on the vast majority are way way over a normal working week.

cheers
Bob

Lons":1vrzeui5 said:
The only way I could do that was to factor in all the relevant costs of running a business. If you want a list of those, Id be happy to list them, it's a long list! Cheers Bob

Oh, I well know the costs of running a business, many weeks work being written off against overhead before any profit made and ever increasing employment legislation. I sold out and retired at 53 so I've already had 18 years retirement to enjoy myself :D .

GrahamF":14uovjad said:
I sold out and retired at 53 so I've already had 18 years retirement to enjoy myself :D .

Lucky lad Graham, I've been retired only a couple of years and really don't know how I ever had time to work, got to make the most of this life =D>

If someone says on a quote..."I could do it myself but I'm to busy" I make a quick excuse and leave. If my spider sense senses diyer I'm gone asap!

MikeG.":1merwsbr said:
"How much is it going to cost, Mr Architect?"

"I don't know until we've got a design."

"I don't want to get a design done unless I know I can afford the building work."

I assumed that architects would have some concept of working to a budget. Hah. Ours had absolutely no interest, never asked or discussed costs beyond the £/sq m ballbark.

Went from bad to worse once we started talking with tradesmen who produced not much better estimates (quote ? No chance) and seemed preoccupied with evading VAT. Thoroughly unpleasant experience. Decided to cut our losses and live with what we have.

Architects vary, some are good at designing often with no idea of costs or alternatives but we were lucky to find one who had lots of practical experience, same with surveyor. Building inspectors can make or break a job cost wise, we had a friendly one on several jobs with lots of good advice and recommendations for local tradesmen where needed but occasionally another nicknamed "Dig Deep D****" an absolute pain in the buttocks, could be half way to Australia and he would still want another 2 ft. My wife was a civil engineering draughtswoman so preparation of drawings easy.

Sheffield Tony":2yxs0r9e said:
.........I assumed that architects would have some concept of working to a budget. Hah. Ours had absolutely no interest.......

Architects are as varied as clients.

Some clients won't tell you their budget. Some clients tell you a budget that it turns out they can't afford. Some clients tell you a budget, and then are quite happy to double it. Some clients....no.........most clients, want a champagne project on a pale ale budget. When you give them champagne they moan about the cost, and when you give them pale ale, they moan about the taste. The very best way of progressing your career as an architect is to be careful, or lucky, in who you have as clients.

MikeG.":1skkp2cm said:
When you give them champagne they moan about the cost, and when you give them pale ale, they moan about the taste.
Human nature Mike, we're all the same if we dig deep enough, who doesn't want w Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini? :lol:

I had very few issues with customers and just a few with delayed payments, those were accountants and a financial adviser and my solution was just to turn down future work from them clearly spelling out my reasons.

I did quite a few jobs for farmers and they were without exception a PITA and I soon recognised those potential customers who didn't really want an estimate, just advice so they could do the work themselves, I even had one neighbour who borrowed a mixer so he could build a small garden wall and when I had to ask for it back found out he'd paid a builders labourer mate to do the work with my machine! Her was shocked when I used a few choice words to describe what he was. #-o

A bit of a rant but, looking from the other side, there's a shortage of skilled tradesmen and many of those remaining are making a killing, particularly on kitchens and shower rooms. 6 years ago I stripped out our small en-suite 2.7m x 90cm and, as predicted, the finish came off with the floor to ceiling tiles. Apart from patching, I'm no good at plastering and the (self employed plasterers not builders) quotes just for skimming, no loose backing, ranged between £250 and £600 + materials! Just done a small job for an elderly widow round the corner and she mentioned she'd been quoted £250 for an unpainted l & b side gate 2m by about 70cm but the guy never turned up to do it so, another little hobby job for me when I get back home in the spring.

Unfortunately, at 72 now and an iffy hip, there are some jobs such as relaying/leveling a flagstone path at home I no longer want to tackle and I'm just expecting to be ripped off for a one day job - IF I can find someone to do it.

There's a definite niche market for competent DIY types Graham. Many people especially the aged and widows who have loads of little jobs such as minor repairs, hanging pictures, fitting shelves, adjusting doors, replacing locks and loads more but not worth the time and effort for a busy tradesman who wants to be on a job for days or weeks rather than an hour or so.

Still, have you seen how much it costs for an unskilled gardener to cut the lawn or a cleaner for a couple of hours these days!

Yes, I well know the cost of lawn cutters as we're away afloat for 6-8 months each year! We're surrounded mainly by coffin dodgers at home (heading that way ourselves) who need odd jobs doing but I think I would get some resistance from 'er indoors if I spend too much time with the widows - there's one around the corner I quite fancy :D . Charging also a problem, I'm happy if cost of any materials is covered as it relieves the boredom.

GrahamF":gj27nl8t said:
Yes, I well know the cost of lawn cutters as we're away afloat for 6-8 months each year! We're surrounded mainly by coffin dodgers at home (heading that way ourselves) who need odd jobs doing but I think I would get some resistance from 'er indoors if I spend too much time with the widows - there's one around the corner I quite fancy :D . Charging also a problem, I'm happy if cost of any materials is covered as it relieves the boredom.

P.S.If people think the building trades are expensive, try the marine ones :(

GrahamF":1ywn0d0v said:
GrahamF":1ywn0d0v said:

P.S.If people think the building trades are expensive, try the marine ones :(
How do you have time to get bored? :)
Leave those widows alone, divorce is VERY expensive, not personal experience but 2 of my sisters have been there.

I'll take your word for the marine industry but I do know the caravan and motorhome markets are excruciatingly expensive and don't get me started on car main dealers. :(

Latest posts

Back