Lathe Tool sharpening sytems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth I had the O'Donnel jig set up on a six inch grinder and also a Tru-Grind jig set up on a 8 inch Record Power grinder both fitted with whith white wheels, and still struggled to replicate my sharpening angles every time. I took the plunge invested in the Robert Sorby Pro-edge. Absolutley worth every penny to me, my turning has improved, less time spent sharpening tools and the tools are so much sharper than before and replicating angles is so easy. In hindsight I wish Id bought one first instead of the other two jigs and grinders which are now standing redundant in the corner of my shed.

I started off with a budget grinder I found on gumtree and some cheapo jigs from ebay. As I got more proficient I thought I should buy a 'proper' grinder so I invested in the Record Power one. The spec is actually very similar to my original grinder so after it had lingered under a bench for a few months I decided to use it alongside the Record Power one. I also found that, with care, I could get pretty much the same results with the cheapo ebay jigs as I could with the Deluxe Universal Sorby sharpening system I bought.

I now have a choice of four wheels, (three white and a one CBN) set up for the four angles I use most - from left to right in the picture: one for spindle roughing gouges, scrapers, beading and parting tool, bedan etc, one for bowl gouges, one for spindle gouges and one for skew chisels. The Sorby system is split between two wheels, as I found it a right faff to keep resetting up.

This setup minimises the time setting up for a grind and maximises turning time.

I also have a Trend diamond sharpening card that I keep in my pocket that I use if an edge just needs a freshen up. I use that all the time.

sharpening.jpg

Anybody got a Robert Sorby they would sell?! I know I have already asked this in the “wanted” section of the forum!

sorry Arnold, i would only sell you my pro edge for £340, so i could go out and buy another new 1, i rate mine that much, but like you i found £300+ a lot for a sharpening system, but since saving up for it and using it for the last 3 months, i think it really is money well spent, and build quality seems really good, i would hope it lasts me a Good many years, i like you waited for months for a good 2nd hand one , (they seem to be like rocking horse poo) and when 1 did come up they nearly reach new price,

good luck on whatever you decide

Thanks for the replies...i have made my mind up and bought........
The Robert Sorby deluxe universal sharpening system. Handles are doing it at a discount but that's not why I'm buying it.

On Saturday I visited a colleague who is an excellent turner and he took me through the reasons why he has this option. He sharpened some gouges/chisel took me over to his lathe and gave me a demo to show how sharp they were and how well they cut. For s fraction of the price of a pro edge and still with excellent results why pay that much again?
Each one to their own and I'm not knocking those that have the pro edge, but as I need some more "boys toys" I felt thus was a good balance between expense and end results- sharpness. I also have some pound to spend elsewhere!!

Regards

MikeJhn":emr83h64 said:
Can the Proedge sharpen planer blades?

Mike
Yes, to ensure square, there is premium adjustable square guide available to make sure the plane blade is presented to the belt accurately.

Phil

Sheptonphil":3l30svwd said:
MikeJhn":3l30svwd said:
Can the Proedge sharpen planer blades?

Mike
Yes, to ensure square, there is premium adjustable square guide available to make sure the plane blade is presented to the belt accurately.

Phil

Phil are you refering to the 90deg. setting guide for Hand Plane Blades or something for Wide Surface Planer Blades which is I believe what Mike was enquiring about.

I don't think the pro edge is accurate enough for planer blades mike. I'd say it needs something with a proper clamping/workholding and an XY table - IE a surface grinder.

Thank you all for your replies, all very interesting and mainly pro edge. All I need now is to make space in my workshop.
Thanks to Bodger7

Thanks Jim

is it the workshop is to small or I've just got to much stuff?

Back