The wood processing continues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the wood pile is now getting towards the end of processing the logs I had at the end of last year which means turning time will soon be upon me again where I can have fun.

Theses picture show how many blanks I now have cut into rounds. Altogether I have done 68 of the blanks

Cut into rounds and sealed the smallest one in the pile at the front is 4" diameter and the largest is 16" the one at the bottom of the second picture so a good range of sizes

DSCF8889 (800x600).jpg

The two stacks are cut and sealed the ones on there side will need sealing first thing in the morning and the two bottom right have yet to be cut and possibly rough turned as they are cherry

DSCF8890 (600x800).jpg

These are ready at the bandsaw station ready for cutting into rounds and sealing

DSCF8896 (600x800).jpg

This cover is the last of the blanks for final processing so nearly there

DSCF8895 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF8889 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF8889 (800x600).jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF8890 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF8890 (600x800).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF8896 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF8896 (600x800).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF8895 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF8895 (800x600).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 736
Been a busy Boy, all you have to do now is think of something to turn it all into that won't earn you a 'Not another one'
response.

CHJ":30gl3fy4 said:
Been a busy Boy, all you have to do now is think of something to turn it all into that won't earn you a 'Not another one'
response.

Just had a chap turn up and take away another pile of offcuts for his woodburner that is one job done save me a run to the tip. Will be back out there in a minute only came in for a cuppa and to order a new belt for the bandsaw as I can see it is near needing replacing. Some of them will be rough turned but there is no rush for that as I have plenty of dry blanks I can work on.

paulm":30gl3fy4 said:
Looking good and should keep you busy turning for a few more years ! :)

As I don't turn that many compared to some I can agree will see me for a while and later this year there will be more so will just have to find someone to share them with :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dalboy":1u1tn01d said:
...... Will be back out there in a minute only came in for a cuppa and to order a new belt for the bandsaw as I can see it is near needing replacing. .......
Did that about 6 yrs ago when I noticed the PolyVbelt was separating, ordered two for good measure, fitted the first a couple of months ago when I was checking the machine out, still had not failed.

Like most things if you have spares their need is invariably reduced.

CHJ":1jm9brp6 said:
Dalboy":1jm9brp6 said:
...... Will be back out there in a minute only came in for a cuppa and to order a new belt for the bandsaw as I can see it is near needing replacing. .......
Did that about 6 yrs ago when I noticed the PolyVbelt was separating, ordered two for good measure, fitted the first a couple of months ago when I was checking the machine out, still had not failed.

Like most things if you have spares their need is invariably reduced.

Like yourself rather have it now and not have to change it rather than wait until it breaks and have to wait for a new one to arrive. I could have taken the it off and matched it at our local bearing and belt supplier and for a cheaper price but the hassle makes it not worth doing. I only ordered one but at least I could take that and match it if I feel like it

At last finished all of the wood that was outside under a tarp so now all sealed under cover and in stick. Started with 128 pieces cut from the logs then once cut into rounds and hollow form blanks gives me a good amount to turn and that is after I gave 18 pieces away this now gives me a total of 102 bowl blanks and without getting on my knees to count the hollow form blanks a rough guess of 40 to 50. Some I will eventually rough turn to speed up drying. I am expecting some losses but with that amount should still give me a good amount.

Well done, as long as you shift some of it before the next lot arrives :lol:

I can here it now:-
"why on earth he needs to collect so many bits of wood when there's that lot already out the back I've no idea"

CHJ":yf231oxl said:
Well done, as long as you shift some of it before the next lot arrives :lol:

I can here it now:-
"why on earth he needs to collect so many bits of wood when there's that lot already out the back I've no idea"

Luckily she already knows there could be more this year but it is the case of "Well darling I need a new shed to store it in" that will be the hard part as I have already planted the seed for a bigger workshop. Now lets see if I can turn some of the previous years collection :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't say I've started yet on the main wood pile, one or two bits have been absorbed in behind the scenes requests and promises that conscience said should be honoured before the routine started again.
One more unusual bit was a display stand for a 1920's Designer Hat in someone's collection.
stand1.jpg

Think it's a bit pretentious for my ear warmer but needs must to give recipient some idea of scale for their approval.

Attachments

• stand1.jpg
    stand1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 543
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 541
Dalboy":2gue4on5 said:
I didn't think it was that cold in your neck of the woods Chas :wink:
My Ears do, the 40's-50's memories of chilblains still ring loud.

Well done on converting your own wood Derek, I was just saying to the wife that you are going to have to get a bigger shed to put your wood in as your wood store must be looking a bit full now with that lot in it.
I have been in my workshop today fitting a log burner and turning a large lump of wood from my log store, can life get any better sitting in a shed nice and toasty making shavings. :D

i have been turning this small bowl

Attachments

• large bowl on the lathe.jpg
    large bowl on the lathe.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 529
  • IMAG0859.jpg
    IMAG0859.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 529
About time you had a clean up Les unless you just shovel it into the burner. Is that for the club competition next month I did offer you some you know the missis will say yes :lol: :lol: :lol:

CHJ":1y9dzaf3 said:
My Ears do, the 40's-50's memories of chilblains still ring loud.

The problem I have is the older I get the more I feel the cold on top of the tablets for thinning the blood

Dalboy":20vx7179 said:
The problem I have is the older I get the more I feel the cold on top of the tablets for thinning the blood

Fortunately I have no prime medication to contend with, never the less "Bracing" this time of year just equates to "Too blasted COLD" for me.

Dalboy":3qdic6sf said:
About time you had a clean up Les unless you just shovel it into the burner. Is that for the club competition next month I did offer you some you know the missis will say yes :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is as clean as its going to get Derek, unless you and Nick want to come over and help me clean up whilst doing a bit of turning.
It might be for the club competition so long as the wife doesn't sell it, she is selling everything at the moment.
And a big thank you for the offer of the wood mate but I'm having a big clear out of my sheds and workshop in readiness of the wife taking up pottery so I don't have any room to keep any more wood at the moment. Les

Walnut Les":3w09amio said:
..... I'm having a big clear out of my sheds and workshop in readiness of the wife taking up pottery so I don't have any room to keep any more wood at the moment. Les

That sounds downright dangerous, nightmare visions of racks of drying pieces encroaching.

CHJ":9vmoqc1f said:
Walnut Les":9vmoqc1f said:
..... I'm having a big clear out of my sheds and workshop in readiness of the wife taking up pottery so I don't have any room to keep any more wood at the moment. Les

That sounds downright dangerous, nightmare visions of racks of drying pieces encroaching.

She will be having a shed of her own chas, but I might direct some of the heat from her kiln to help dry my wood or to help keep my workshop warm. :D

Back