bowls, boxes and chalice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Mostly when people show boxes they are pretty much straight sided. Bowls on the other hand are not. I was thinking of making a box but realised in effect the shape I have in mind makes it more of a bowl with a lid.

Bowls are usually turned cross grained to avoid splitting, but vases and chalices are spindle turned. A big wide chalice could be considered a bowl on a stand..

So, what are the definitions, when does one become something else??

woodfarmer":30tqayhl said:
Mostly when people show boxes they are pretty much straight sided. Bowls on the other hand are not. I was thinking of making a box but realised in effect the shape I have in mind makes it more of a bowl with a lid.

Bowls are usually turned cross grained to avoid splitting, but vases and chalices are spindle turned. A big wide chalice could be considered a bowl on a stand..

So, what are the definitions, when does one become something else??

It is also when does a bowl become a platter in my eyes platters have very little if any sides and tend to be a flat shape

I think it is in the eyes of the person looking at the item in question at what they call it.

Boxes are not limited to straight sides but many especially new turners tend to go for that shape as a beginning into box making.

This box as you state is in effect a small bowl with a lid
DSCF8532 (731x1024).jpg

Another example of a curved shaped box
DSCF8711 (724x1024).jpg

Yes a chalice is a bowl on a stand but for strength reasons when turning from a single piece of wood it is made with the grain running up through the stem/stand

Not all bowls are cross grain careful selection of wood can result in some nice looking bowl.

DSCF7439 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF8532 (731x1024).jpg
    DSCF8532 (731x1024).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 641
  • DSCF7439 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF7439 (1024x768).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 641
  • DSCF8711 (724x1024).jpg
    DSCF8711 (724x1024).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 641
I'd call a flat-sided container a box. A turned whastit is surely just a lidded pot?

Cornwall Association of Woodturners definition of a platter for TOTY competitions -

Platter - A shallow plate which is flat for at least ¾ across the inside base.
Box - Any turned item with a lid.

Not that they are the words of any deity, mind.

Maybe you could ask Jacob for his definition of an hollow form, I seem to remember a few years back there was quite a debate...

P.S. Lovely boxes Dalboy.

monkeybiter":a15mt5vj said:
Maybe you could ask Jacob for his definition of an hollow form, I seem to remember a few years back there was quite a debate...
Seditionists take care :twisted: :)

My feeling is, those that produce rather than pontificate can call their work anything they like.

The acquirer of the item is free to view it with their own perceptions and call it whatever complies with those perceptions.

I fully expect different terminology and preferences to manifest themselves in differing genre of crafts and skills.

Thanks for replying guys.

Really lovely work there Dalboy (again).

My own feelings were that some people, as ever will see some things differently to others.

I once made some fruit from lovely (in my eyes) wood. Mostly Yew, acacia and oak. Before I used the good wood I practised on some bits of building softwood put the lot in a cardboard box and offered them to a friend saying take the ones you like. She selected only the softwood ones, which in my eyes were very plain.

Back