thicknesser choice, down to two

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
I’m just about to lay down £380 on a Metabo DH330 thicknesser after lots of research. http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... ln-Pkx2u70

It’s only for hobby use, a bit of segmented turning, reclaiming wood, and making stock to my own sizes for boxes etc. I've also looked, at the Jet JWP-12, http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jwp-12-b ... ser-100412 on offer now for £299, and these are the only two I’m now looking at, with a definite lean towards the Metabo. Can’t really justify over £400 so the likes of the Makita and Dewalt are out. and don’t mind spending £300-400, so not really interested in the likes of the Titan at £139 etc.

I don’t need a combined unit.

Any thoughts from anyone who owns/has used the Metabo would be well appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

I am considering the same 2, in addition to the Triton and the Erbauer (at about 220). I will also probably go for the Metabo, I think the only thing that is putting me off atm is the price of the blades - they are the most expensive of any of these machines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of others make planner knifes you don't have to use the manufactures product, in fact I have no idea where I got my last set from, all I know was they where cheap and have lasted well with a bit of sharpening.

Even consider ones that are slightly shorter and just put them at one end, you can even use two blades in one slot end to end.

Mike

I have the axi ct330 which is a chunk more money, but has disposable blades. This means that changing them is a 2 minute job and they self set.

The two models that you linked to seem to have resharpenable blades. This tends to mean that they can be fiddly to set and so you delay doing so beyond when they should be changed.

The jet has cheaper blades than the metabo. The Triton isn't clear whether they are disposable or not. It has a slightly smaller capacity though.

I would prioritise disposable blades above all other features. If it means buying a better machine secondhand, I would do that. The axi is excellent.

Forgive my ignorance, but if a blade is removable then surely its disposable and can be replaced with any blade that will fit the block?

Mike

Last year Fine Woodworking ran a test on these style of "lunchbox thicknessers". Amongst other criteria they measured snipe and parallelism.

DeWalt 735X Snipe 0.003", Out Of Parallel 0.000"
DeWalt 734 Snipe 0.002", Out Of Parallel 0.000"
Makita 2012N Snipe 0.003", Out Of Parallel 0.002"
Rikon 25-131 Snipe 0.002", Out Of Parallel 0.008"
Triton TPT125 Snipe 0.101", Out Of Parallel 0.010"
Delta 22-555 Snipe 0.006", Out Of Parallel 0.008"
Craftsman 21758, Snipe 0.012", Out Of Parallel 0.019"

Anything below the Makita might be fine for basic site joinery, but IMO, isn't accurate enough for precise work.

I know these aren't necessarily brands you're considering, but I'd have thought an application like segmented turning would require very precise components. I guess the message is buyer beware, portable thicknessers exist to serve very different users with very different requirements.

marcros":3j9khcip said:
I would prioritise disposable blades above all other features.

Makes sense to me, most hobbyist run P/T's where the knives are way, way past their sell by date.

marcros":nmsl59vb said:
I have the axi ct330 which is a chunk more money, but has disposable blades. This means that changing them is a 2 minute job and they self set.

The two models that you linked to seem to have resharpenable blades. This tends to mean that they can be fiddly to set and so you delay doing so beyond when they should be changed.

The jet has cheaper blades than the metabo. The Triton isn't clear whether they are disposable or not. It has a slightly smaller capacity though.

I would prioritise disposable blades above all other features. If it means buying a better machine secondhand, I would do that. The axi is excellent.

Thanks, confused now, these blades are listed at £22 and disposable, not resharpenable https://***********************/metabo- ... m1051.html

Thanks custard, this will be a step up from my hand planning, which whilst not perfect, is really slow.

Phil

By disposable, I meant that you don't resharpen, you buy a new one. You get 2 sides to the blade before you throw it. It is more expensive, I see that my axi blades are now £53, but you get 2 edges per blade so £26.50 per set. Sharpening a set of 12" blades would be about £15 a set I guess, so it is £11 for the luxury of not spending an hour or more aligning blades. Some weeks that could be half of the workshop time that I have! I don't get through many sets a year. If I was a pro, I would but I would then have to account for my time spent changing them.

You may be able to get alternative blades for some machines. If they have slots cut into the blades, it is sometimes more difficult to get them. You are more likely to get alternative blades for the most popular machines worldwide.

Again forgive my ignorance, but slots or no slots does it make a difference if the bolts tighten up onto the blade and don't foul anything? genuine question

Mike

Sheptonphil":23juo72y said:
marcros":23juo72y said:

Thanks, confused now, these blades are listed at £22 and disposable, not resharpenable https://***********************/metabo- ... m1051.html

Thanks custard, this will be a step up from my hand planning, which whilst not perfect, is really slow.

Phil

Phil

You are correct. The metabo seems to be disposable blades and those look a good price. Cheaper than sharpening them

MikeJhn":c875y2yi said:
Again forgive my ignorance, but slots or no slots does it make a difference if the bolts tighten up onto the blade and don't foul anything? genuine question

Mike

The slots on mine are for alignment. If the bolts tighten, they would hold the blade. My point is that plain blades come on a long length and are probably cut to size by the manufacturer. If slots need adding for a specific machine, it is not extra process, and for an aftermarket blade supplier it isn't worth doing unless they can shift a volume of blades.

I have an earlier deWalt (733 I think) which has served very well for over 20 years of hobby work so far. One strip down to see if the bearings needed changing, but they didn't. Of course it makes a huge difference if the blades are sharp, and having a Tormek, I launched out on their planer blade sharpening jig. I reckoned this paid for itself in three sharpenings, less than a year of light hobby use (probably paid for the Tormek now, too), and I can ensure the blades are at their best whenever starting a serious job. The first sharpening - lonngggggg overdue! - took a few hours, but nowadays it is maybe 15 minutes including removing and realigning the blades using the deWalt magnetic jig.

When buying, it is well worth seeing how easy the blade alignment is, as this tends to be a big obstacle to blade changing in the amateur shop.

Keith

MikeJhn":3dmgmm6c said:
Lots of others make planner knifes you don't have to use the manufactures product, in fact I have no idea where I got my last set from, all I know was they where cheap and have lasted well with a bit of sharpening.

Even consider ones that are slightly shorter and just put them at one end, you can even use two blades in one slot end to end.

Mike
Even the after market ones are the most expensive for the Metabo

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

custard":fwmfco8q said:
Last year Fine Woodworking ran a test on these style of "lunchbox thicknessers". Amongst other criteria they measured snipe and parallelism.

DeWalt 735X Snipe 0.003", Out Of Parallel 0.000"
DeWalt 734 Snipe 0.002", Out Of Parallel 0.000"
Makita 2012N Snipe 0.003", Out Of Parallel 0.002"
Rikon 25-131 Snipe 0.002", Out Of Parallel 0.008"
Triton TPT125 Snipe 0.101", Out Of Parallel 0.010"
Delta 22-555 Snipe 0.006", Out Of Parallel 0.008"
Craftsman 21758, Snipe 0.012", Out Of Parallel 0.019"

Anything below the Makita might be fine for basic site joinery, but IMO, isn't accurate enough for precise work.

I know these aren't necessarily brands you're considering, but I'd have thought an application like segmented turning would require very precise components. I guess the message is buyer beware, portable thicknessers exist to serve very different users with very different requirements.
Wow the Triton comes out pretty badly here. So much for all the glowing user reviews online. I wonder if any of that snipe can be dialled out on the table adjustment.

Interesting result in the Dewalt as well - Matthais Wandel did a test on that Vs his old cheap lunchbox planer, and he got less snipe and better quality than the new Dewalt 735.

Bodgers":2hwwl5gv said:
MikeJhn":2hwwl5gv said:

Mike

But why do you have to use the designated Metabo after market blades, surely any blade of the right width and length that fits will work?

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... s_878.html

Mike

My take on this is the DeWalt is a very well known and respected tool. Yes it's noisy and lightweight.....they all are but it's been around to many years to be poor. They make a heavier duty one across the pond. But the only real difference is an extra blade and a fan for the shavings.
If you ever need to sell it's a wanted machine therefore easy. Try selling any of the others! Also if it's out of your range pick up a used one.
Jb

MikeJhn":30rqg37b said:
Bodgers":30rqg37b said:
MikeJhn":30rqg37b said:

Mike

But why do you have to use the designated Metabo after market blades, surely any blade of the right width and length that fits will work?

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... s_878.html

Mike

None in that list are the right size...

So maybe that's the problem

Double sided blades for £21.99 : https://***********************/metabo- ... -pair.html seems reasonable to me.

Back