Calling all owners of Lie-Nielsen Scraping Planes 212 112 85

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":2cltzxfd said:
Why? I am quite happy with the way it works.
I get good shavings and finish with my blade wit no burr or the one left from sharpening.
Not to shabby box wood shavings.

Scraper V Plane by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

Pete; the resulting wood surface was 1st prepped flat using a smoothing plane to remove the bulk shavings, and finished off with a non hooked Scraper Plane.

I have tried to roll a burr but it just makes clicking noises, I guess I could re-temper it or make a new blade, but it works for me so its not a priority.

Pete

Hi Pete

How about making another blade, one which is softer and can take a hook? Keep the one you already have - be in a position to compare the two. I would not ruin a working set up - not for such a pretty plane! - but I would also want to get the best performance if it were mine. I am very sceptical that you are anywhere near its potential if you cannot form a hook on the blade.

Without re-reading the thread, I cannot recall if I linked an article I wrote a dozen years ago which compared thick and thin blades in a #112.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTe ... lades.html

The thick blade was a LN "Stanley Replacement" (no longer available), and the thin blade I made from an old saw plate. They performed equally well. It may be worth your while to make a thin blade the same way to test out whther you can reproduce my experience.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It would have to wait until summer for a thick blade, I am not firing up the BBQ in winter!

Pete

Racers":2i4uy2ne said:
I have tried to roll a burr but it just makes clicking noises....
Sorry can I just check Pete, is this with a carbide burnisher?

ED65":1a17dw7h said:
Racers":1a17dw7h said:

It sounds like he's breaking the blade off, so it doesn't really matter.

The blade could, however, be heated from the center with a torch until it approaches dark brown at the edges, dipped in water quickly and then the burr attempted. If that's not enough, the same activity again until the tempering colors approach blue. Presumably, the same thing could be done with an old junk plane blade.

The gain in performance from a scraping plane is gigantic and worth the effort.

I'd assume that LN suggests a straight blade because they can't get their average purchaser off of the phone if they suggest anything that requires additional inclination. They also suggest that users should avoid dry grinders and use of the cap iron - not a good source of information if you're looking to get beyond barely passable.

swagman":1rjtqpyb said:
Racers":1rjtqpyb said:
I get good shavings and finish with my blade wit no burr or the one left from sharpening.

Pete

Pete; the resulting wood surface was 1st prepped flat using a smoothing plane to remove the bulk shavings, and finished off with a non hooked Scraper Plane.

If this is extended to 30 square feet for all of the material on a figured blanket chest, it would intolerable. Derek's setup would accomplish all of it in one pass.

Stewie, I saw one of your assertions in another forum that you see no difference in effort using high angle planes vs. double iron planes (despite actual tested physical evidence to the contrary - machine measured). At some point, you can't use single test pieces and feather shavings to make suggestions unless the end user is looking to prepare nothing more than test pieces and feather shavings.

The method needs to be extended out to full pieces, or it becomes similar to a lot of youtube videos - demonstration of a concept that looks really great, but nobody does the concept outside of youtube videos.

ED65":oyu9cvxo said:
Racers":oyu9cvxo said:

Yep carbide about 3mm in diameter.

Its far to hard to roll a burr it was hardened and tempered like a plane blade.

Pete

D_W":3iv03tpr said:
swagman":3iv03tpr said:
Racers":3iv03tpr said:

Pete

If this is extended to 30 square feet for all of the material on a figured blanket chest, it would intolerable. Derek's setup would accomplish all of it in one pass.

Stewie, I saw one of your assertions in another forum that you see no difference in effort using high angle planes vs. double iron planes (despite actual tested physical evidence to the contrary - machine measured). At some point, you can't use single test pieces and feather shavings to make suggestions unless the end user is looking to prepare nothing more than test pieces and feather shavings.

The method needs to be extended out to full pieces, or it becomes similar to a lot of youtube videos - demonstration of a concept that looks really great, but nobody does the concept outside of youtube videos.

David; I don't mind working with either set up. Double Iron or Single Iron. The bottom photo shows my double iron german horn smoothing plane, alongside my French made single iron smoother. The single iron smoother is bedded at 50 degrees, with a back bevel of 10 degrees to give an approach angle of 60 degree. (cabinet pitch) Both types of smoothing planes perform equally well on both straight and curly grains. I am not alone of course in seeing the benefit of single iron bench planes, with HNT Gordon, Phil Edwards, and Old Street Tools, to name but 3 who are still making them. Its not a bad thing to become more accustomed to the workings of a single iron bench plane, as it helps when dealing with more specialized joinery planes, such as moulding planes, combination, rebate, and plough. All the best. Stewie

swagman":3467btzj said:
Returning to the core topic of scraper planes and whether a turned hook on the blade is paramount. On another forum site, one of the members recently posted a thread that dated back to 2004. The opinion then slightly favoured a non hook. https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread ... Stanley-80

Good grief, but you are pathetic, Stewie. That opinion (of mine) was made 14 years ago, and changed since. You really cannot accept anyone disagreeing with you, and you just cannot stop finding something negative to point fingers at.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek; take a few deep breaths and calm down. Its possible the side effects of jetlag may have contributed to this emotional outburst. Can I suggest you re-evaluate your comments after your fully rested.

regards Stewie;

Besides fatigue and insomnia, a jet lag sufferer may experience a number of physical and emotional symptoms, including anxiety, constipation, diarrhea, confusion, dehydration, headache, irritability, nausea, indigestion, difficulty concentrating, sweating, coordination problems, dizziness, daytime sleepiness, malaise (a general feeling of being unwell), and even memory loss. Some individuals report additional symptoms, such as heartbeat irregularities and increased susceptibility to illness.

Latest posts

Back