6ft Drabble & Sanderson Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this in the window of a Norwich antique shop last week, thought I looked a tiny by bigger than my current one so was hard to resist. Plus those pretty looking saw teeth!

Drabble & Sanderson 6ft Crosscut Saw by Rhyolith, on Flickr

It has its makers name on it too, which made research so much easier!

A quick look on Graces Guide reveals its way older than I would have thought: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Drabble_and_Sanderson Not much information but it would appear Drabble and Sanderson operated between 1825 - 1911, meaning this saw is over 100 years old :shock: Maybe a lot over... Seem to be getting a lot of these 19th century surprises recently!

Its actually quite sharp, probably the first saw I have bought that would cut acceptably immediately :shock: It does need new handles and some de-rusting.

I am not sure what to do with the rust, usually I'd just power brush it off, but its in such good nick that feels a bit aggressive... I know theres a few saw restorers on here, any advice?

Nice saw!
I have this ongoing joke with the missus, warning that she'll be on t'other end of one of those things,
someday (hammer)

Looking forward to see you sharpen it :p :p :p
That saw could be the latter end of Drabble and Sanderson's production?,
On backsaws, earlier ones have a stamped logo deep into the brass backs and the later ones were different (etched?)
I have two, a backsaw and a tennon ...
Ones made in Sheffield and the other was made in London (I will have to check that 100%)

Tom

Nice looking saw plate I clean a lot of saw plates, most of them much worse than yours. I start with a window paint scraper like this one
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/syr-window-cl ... 37-_-GG974
Go carefully and change the blade as soon as you see any scratches on the plate. I then finish it of with solvo auto sol chrome polish rubbed in with aluminium foil. I would definitely keep away from the etch as much as possible particularly if it is printed rather than impressed into the plate.
Good luck
Rob

There's a common problem in dating old tools and this saw is an example of it. The company Drabble & Sanderson ceased to exist quite a long time ago (1907 according to Simon Barley) but the well known name continued to be used by its new owners - Spear & Jackson - for a long time. It's not clear from his book just how long, but it might have been as late as the 1970s.

I'm not suggesting your very nice saw is that new, just relaying the work of a dedicated saw historian.

Btw, I continue to be impressed by the size of some of your purchases. Your house must be large, or full, or both!

custard":jsnnbtg2 said:
What's the purpose of the little holes above some of the teeth?

I think they are technically little strengthening bridges between the quite-long teeth.

Have a look at perforated lance tooth saws.

crosscut_saw_teeth-4.gif

NazNomad":wyal9ihf said:
custard":wyal9ihf said:
What's the purpose of the little holes above some of the teeth?

I think they are technically little strengthening bridges between the quite-long teeth.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Back