Death in Paradise.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I dreaming or have I seen this series before? At the start of last week's episode, my wife described what was going to happen and to whom. When watching yesterday evening's episode I, with my usually sieve like memory, was able to identify the murderer and even remembered how it was done, yet it is being promoted as a new series. The BBC site claims that the first screening (of episode 1) was January 4th 2018.

"The show is known for its formulaic approach to its plots, with each episode roughly the same in both style and narrative structure".
I therefore assume you have half a brain and can figure it out easy enough. :D

Tasky":zdcakcir said:
"The show is known for its formulaic approach to its plots, with each episode roughly the same in both style and narrative structure".

You give me too much credit. I am usually able to watch a light entertainment programme without taking anything in but can still enjoy it. This wasn't a case of working it out. I knew who was going to be killed, who was the murderer and how it was going to be done as soon as the majority of the cast appeared on screen.

But I once was a policeman. #-o

I've watched it (with enjoyment) since the start of series 1, and don't believe I've seen either of those two episodes before. The new detective has only been in this series, apart from a brief introduction last year, so yes, it must be your detective skills!

whiskywill":2uwcvjpq said:
Don't read my thread on free-standing wood panelling, then... I may end up killing someone and I'd like to get away with it!!

I used to be able to do that with Jonathan Creek until it got impossible now i've no chance.

They ARE new episodes and new stories.
YES the show is formulaic, but kind of reasonable 'mental chewing gum'
I can't say for certain in this instance, but its not uncommon to reuse scripts from other shows with either major or minor rewrites to fit the characters. So its entirely possible that you've seen something very similar before... perhaps even with identical lines of dialogue that can trigger that kind of deja-vu memory.

Personally I love the show for the gorgeous scenery. Sadly the scenery wasn't in this episode as it was not on duty because of a sprained ankle ;-)

I am not psychic or clever at working out the plot but think this series might have been shown on BBC Wales last Autumn, but cannot find the proof. Another bit of evidence of this is that when I was watching the first episode of this "new" series, my wife joined me after about ten minutes and asked "Is this the one where somebody falls off a balcony with only one fingernail painted?" It was and there was no way she could have guessed that.

whiskywill":26nhwz3d said:
Tasky":26nhwz3d said:

You give me too much credit. I am usually able to watch a light entertainment programme without taking anything in but can still enjoy it. This wasn't a case of working it out. I knew who was going to be killed, who was the murderer and how it was going to be done as soon as the majority of the cast appeared on screen.

But that implies that your real life experience was applicable, which (in turn) implies that the program was reasonably accurate to real life, which doesn't sound at all likely. :D

BugBear

I am not psychic or clever at working out the plot but think this series might have been shown on BBC Wales last Autumn, but cannot find the proof. Another bit of evidence of this is that when I was watching the first episode of this "new" series, my wife joined me after about ten minutes and asked "Is this the one where somebody falls off a balcony with only one fingernail painted?" It was and there was no way she could have guessed that.

"Death in Paradise" ? More like 'Death by Boredom'. The early series were great fun but with the latest detective change the pace is glacial. I can only think of one other detective series that is equally as boring and soporific and that is Montelbano.

Unfortunately for me, it's just been discovered to be on iPlayer, to which the telly has access.

I like the little green lizard, and the occasional establishing shots of the island's scenery, and the Defender 110, but the puzzle is easily solved, as it's always the least likely person who did it. The DC enjoys the plot and hates me shouting "J'accuse!" five minutes in (so nowadays I whisper, but she still notices and gets annoyed).

IMHO, the characters were better drawn in earlier series. They're getting a bit one-dimensional now. Apart from the little green lizard, that is.

E.

Spiral on BBC4 is the one to watch
Saturdays 21:00
Last two episodes tonight but available on iPlayer etc.

Rod

Harbo":g1o56kgs said:
Spiral on BBC4 is the one to watch
Saturdays 21:00
Last two episodes tonight but available on iPlayer etc.

Rod

Mais oui. C'est superbe et Laure est une femme magnifique. Je souhaite que j'aie été Gilou

I can't see Ben Miller without thinking of Rob Brydon telling how he was in a taxi when the driver said "You're Ben Miller, aren't you? I bet you often get mistaken for Rob Brydon ............................................ I can't stand that Welsh tw*t" :D

Back