Adding a copper disc to the bottom of a dish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OW_Turn

Reaction score
Hi, I am turning a low flat dish out of oak and want to add some copper (it has a historic connection to the oak). I am thinking that possibly the easiest way is to create a shallow recess in the bottom of the dish and fix a disc of the copper into the recess??
Has anyone got any thoughts on this please? Do I cover the copper disk with clear epoxy, or maybe cut the copper into a thin strip which can be made into a spiral and then set it in the recess with Miliput or something?
I thought there would be loads of youtube videos to get ideas from but I am struggling to find inspiration!

Thanks in advance
Oscar

That is all I did was to form a shallow recess and insert some copper into it I did heat mine up and beat it with a hammer to give a planished effect and lightly cleaned the high spots once clean and inserted with epoxy resin making sure I masked the surrounding area as well as the copper disc before the resin had time to harden I wiped the excess off and removed the masking this left it all nice and clean ready for the finish which I used a spray rather than a brush on finish.

beech bowl 4 (800x560).jpg

Attachments

• beech bowl 4 (800x560).jpg
    beech bowl 4 (800x560).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,197
Try looking up woodturning coin inset. Most show your proposed method.
I would suggest that it's how or what finish that poses the dilemma.

Also consider the use of clear casting resin, you can set a whole host of items using the stuff. I did a bowl with a recess around the rim and inset a motorcycle chain the finished result was actually better than it sounds. The resin is totally clear and can be finish turned and polished to remove any marks.

Thanks all for your help. As a result i have now found NZ Turning on you tube who uses resin a lot in his turnings. I've ordered a small sample of the stuff he uses and I will see how it turns out.
If any good, I may even post a piccy!
Thanks,
Oscar

Latest posts

Back