UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a useful piece of kit. Might be an idea for all this HDPE I'm processing.

That's very close to making a scaled up one-of-these, whatever they're called:

aa.jpg

(e.g. item 232299846753 on eBay, £7.99)

BugBear

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 828
Great idea, thanks for sharing Brian.

I wonder if the adjustable clamping feature on the proprietary engraver's vice would be easy to add.

That's another little job to add to my ever-growing workshop list.

Phill

linkshouse":r1zzn3pa said:
Great idea, thanks for sharing Brian.

I wonder if the adjustable clamping feature on the proprietary engraver's vice would be easy to add.
Yes - That's the suggestion I was making!

BugBear

Claymore":2aoiik1a said:
Templates for the vice top.
The two part is for the adjustable mk2 version suggested by you guys :D
Just print them on A4 sheets
The obvious issue is how to fix them to the separate jaws of the vice. Perhaps if the vice is only aluminium, drilling, tapping and screwing might work?

BugBear

Well my own little vice (looks similar to the one in Claymore's pic) is certainly some sort of cast alloy (I wouldn't swear to ali though), and it's certainly meaty enough to take drilling & tapping with care (4 mm would be good probably).

Otherwise, if the 2 vice faces are screwed on, then why not remove them and replace then with a piece of ply say, onto which the face of each half could be screwed?

Just suggestions (I haven't even looked at my little vice recently, and shan't get around to doing anything about this idea for a L O N G while).

AES

Edit for P.S. Sorry, sleepy - above I said "... 2 vice faces ...". I should have said "jaws".

AES

Yeah, if you take it easy (especially with the drilling) then I think a couple of 4 mm tapped holes on each side should be OK - and DON'T over tighten the bolts when fitting).

Good luck (not be "funny") but if your hands are a being a problem these days, perhaps try setting up both the drilling itself, AND starting out the tapping, in the drill press, OR (again, really NOT being funny) get Ruth to do it for you.

AES

AES":3myi2ewk said:
...OR (again, really NOT being funny) get Ruth to do it for you.

Well some of us would rather do it ourselves than have it done properly by our better halves. :-D

Yeah, understood Naz, and I take your point. But from previous posts I understand Brian's in pretty big trouble with his hands these days, and the idea of accidentally snapping off a 4 mm tap in the vice (snap off flush of course!) will neither make his day nor be an easy problem to overcome - for anyone.

AES

Back