Dremel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find mine quite handy for little cutting and grinding tasks. I could live without it but it is useful.

I found the proxxon version to be better than the Dremel that it replaced. I guess that that answers the question- when my Dremel died, I replaced it with the proxxon version.

For me it was one of those tools that I needed for a specific job. I can't remember what is was but it kept my wife quiet at the time.

It became one of those tools that I wish I had bought earlier.

The cutter I use the most is the little cutting disc, great for slicing out bits of broken nail, de-headed screws, aluminium strips etc, etc.
But I also do a bit of model making and this is where it scores. I now have a battery powered Dremel for the model making, it's just a bit
easier with the tricky modelling stuff without the trailing power cable. That one is in my workshop.

I guess though, it depends what you are going to use it for. Undoubtably it will be used for stuff you never thought of!

Yes, but I was given it secondhand, and it may have had a hard first life. The proxxon just felt more solid and more like a professional tool in comparison with the Dremel. I do use Dremel quick change disks and the quick change mandrel on it though, which last well and are better than the tiny screw on the normal one.

Lidl have them coming up soon. Not a Dremmel but their own make.

I've had a dremel for 9 years now. It is not used very often, but can be useful for very small metal jobs or sanding very small model making wooden items.

I wouldnt rate it as a "must have" tool, but it does have a place in a workshop, especially if you are a model maker.
The speed click cutting wheels are extremely good, far quicker and more longer lasting than the the old discs.

I have one and use it for all sorts. Just bought a flexi-extension for it so the wife can do her jewellery-making stuff on it too.
My mechanic friend is on his third Dremel, but he does put them through seriously heavy use.

The one bit of advice I have is to make sure you use decent quality bits in them, especially the cutting discs.

A "dremel like" tool is a useful bit of kit.

Although I had assumed from what has been said on this forum and elsewhere that the Dremel brand was not good value for money any longer.

My own "dremel like" was bought when Woolies went bust and I paid next to nothing for it assuming it would die quite quickly, but its been great.

I was modifying the slots on some plough plane blades only yesterday and it did a perfect job; I now have 5 useless blades that are users.

buy a cheap one, abuse the hell out of it, worth having for the odd little task that they make easier, for more manly jobs, buy a die grinder.

I use a maplin branded one in a vertas plunge base as a micro router, very useful for that and lots of other bits and bobs you never think of until it comes up

I have just bought a Bosch GRO 12v cordless “rotary multi-tool”, together with a cheap set of hundreds of bits and discs etc from Amazon.

Now I have it, I find there are all sorts of things it is useful for - so far the most used bit is the diamond cut off disc. Definitely a keeper.

Cheers

I've had a "Dremel-like" tool since the early 90s – the same one since the early 90s 8) – and would consider it a must-have piece of kit, but obviously it depends on what you do and how you choose to do it.

So, what kind of stuff do you do? If you're thinking of getting one it's likely you do have a few jobs it could help with, and as Geoff_S said once you have one you will discover more uses for it.

But whether you should get a Dremel specifically I think no. Too many mates online have had early failures of their newer Dremels (from the 00s and on) and there are loads more stories of poor performance (early burnouts, very poor duty cycles, running hot, crappy battery life for the cordless ones) so they're nothing like the quality brand they used to be.

And run swiftly in the opposite direction from their hugely overpriced bits and bobs!

I bought a cheapie from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which. Also bought a kit of accessories for about £10. Has been really useful on occasions, and definitely worth buying at the price. I probably wouldn't have bought a big name one because I wouldn't have wanted to pay more for something I might not use, but it was cheap and worth a punt. Glad I bought it now though. I have a few cheap tools for occasional use, a Lidl narrow belt sander a second hand Bosch sabre saw etc. Just so useful now and then, but to me not worth paying serious money for.
I am prepared to pay for stuff I will use though

K

I bought a rechargeable one off eBay and when fully charged lasted about 15 minutes so I sent it back you I was going to get one I'd make sure it was mains power.

Back