Lathe Tool sharpening sytems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a creusen slow speed grinder and Robert sorby jig, fast repeatable angles and grinds. White wheels fitted.

I've had the Robert Sorby Pro Edge for 6 years and never found it wanting. Not cheap but you will only buy once.

I have looked at the pro edge, i dont mind spending if it is worth it, it does look the business. Thanks

I'm looking into the same thing, I've got the tormek and can't make my mind up tormek jigs for tuning tools of Pro edge. Help please.

+1 for the Sorby pro edge, fantastic bit of kit, i dont think you will be disappointed , much quicker and less maintenance than a tormek, and cheaper

+1 for pro Edge if you are starting from scratch and can afford the premium outlay, It's my regular user these days You don't have to buy all the accessories several are easily home made.

Having said it's my main user, I still have my original bench grinder alongside with in the main pre-set rests that are quicker to use for some tool touch-up jobs. Horses for courses and my grinders cost me a fraction of the cost of a Pro Edge even with replacement wheel upgrades.

+1 for the Proedge. I’ve used all the systems over the years. They all work. I’ve got a jet whetstone (Tormek copy) that I’ve had the longest, but I just couldn’t get on with water sloshing about in my workshop. The Proedge is the only one I would buy again if I had to re equip. It’s quick and simple to use and gives superb repeatable results. It’s not cheap, but to be honest it’s worth every penny!

I was about to create a new thread asking for advice on which sharpening set up and saw this thread!

I already have the tormek and am about to upgrade on my woodturning sharpening system. I was about the buy the jig to attach to the tormek for gouge sharpening and then decided to hang back and do a bit more research. I am wondering if it would be best to perhaps use the bench grinder option instead as my wear on the tormek grind wheel will increase and the cost of a replacement wheel will be quite expensive.

Scheppach do a bench grinder with a belt linisher as well, and then there is the Record bench grinder with a 40mm white wheel. I was thinking of the ruby stones rather than the white ones. What are the views and opinions of others?

Regards

Arnold9801":21pa68o5 said:
I was about to create a new thread asking for advice on which sharpening set up and saw this thread!

I already have the tormek and am about to upgrade on my woodturning sharpening system. I was about the buy the jig to attach to the tormek for gouge sharpening and then decided to hang back and do a bit more research. I am wondering if it would be best to perhaps use the bench grinder option instead as my wear on the tormek grind wheel will increase and the cost of a replacement wheel will be quite expensive.

Scheppach do a bench grinder with a belt linisher as well, and then there is the Record bench grinder with a 40mm white wheel. I was thinking of the ruby stones rather than the white ones. What are the views and opinions of others?

Regards

The Tormek gouge jigs work fine on a wide white wheel, I used one and home made equivalent, for 9-10 yrs or so they were my main sharpening go-to's. Still do for some of my tools.

The White stones are OK, the Ruby or Blue crystalline need a little more care and lighter touch as they tend to cut more aggressively so keep tool pressure low, rarely need dressing.

jim1950":23t55vgw said:
I'm looking into the same thing, I've got the tormek and can't make my mind up tormek jigs for tuning tools of Pro edge. Help please.
Tormek Turning tool Jigs used on the Tormek soft wheels result in excessive Stone wear due to small contact area, does mean a lot of dressing if you also want to work on chisels and plane blades.

As a Tormek owner already you may find These thoughts I had about the Turning Jigs package for the Tormek which I did some years ago now.

The evolution of the ProEdge I see as confirmation of the limitations of the Tormek wet wheel system for Turning gouges.

I had the t7 tormek, sold it and bought the full Proedge kit. The t7 gouge jigs work on the Pro edge.

I love it, would never go back to a wheel system. You don’t want/need hollow grinds on turning tools.

I use it for normal chisels and plane blades, mower blades, axes, literally anything with a cutting edge.

Very rare to find one second hand, that tells its own story.

Phil

The Robert system does seem to be the rolls Royce option but I've just been reading about the slow speed bench grinders combined with white stones. Axminister and creusen seem very good. Anyone got views on these options as an alternative to the £340 Robert Sorbey option? Although slow speed bench grinders are expensive for what they are, it seems cheaper than "Bob Sorby!"

Arnold9801":15h8xqs5 said:
The Robert system does seem to be the rolls Royce option but I've just been reading about the slow speed bench grinders combined with white stones. Axminister and creusen seem very good. Anyone got views on these options as an alternative to the £340 Robert Sorbey option? Although slow speed bench grinders are expensive for what they are, it seems cheaper than "Bob Sorby!"

By the time you’ve added jigs (if you use them) the slow speed grinders aren’t really that much cheaper. I went the stone route, wished I’d never done it. The real problem comes when you want to reshape, then sharpen. Easy with Proedge, the grits are too fine for reshaping with white, and they need constant dressing else the develop wavy surface and deep grooves. Don’t fight it, just shell out once and never think about it again except smiling every time you walk away with a sharp gouge in 30 seconds.

Sheptonphil":1v6ape4h said:
Arnold9801":1v6ape4h said:

By the time you’ve added jigs (if you use them) the slow speed grinders aren’t really that much cheaper. I went the stone route, wished I’d never done it. The real problem comes when you want to reshape, then sharpen. Easy with Proedge, the grits are too fine for reshaping with white, and they need constant dressing else the develop wavy surface and deep grooves. Don’t fight it, just shell out once and never think about it again except smiling every time you walk away with a sharp gouge in 30 seconds.

I like your way of putting it! I can see your logic......but £340?????

Anybody got a Robert Sorby they would sell?! I know I have already asked this in the “wanted” section of the forum!

jim1950":fcisa7cd said:

Hi Jim

I've sent you a PM.

Back