Woodcraft weekend coming up in Botanic Gardens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
This weekend at the National Botanic gardens in Carmarthenshire, Sat and Sunday. admission is £4, free parking.
I will be there on Saturday.

K

Ohhh, that sounds interesting. I could possibly tempt the missus to come up with me.

mock":29kt9dhm said:
graduate_owner do you know what sort of woodworking craft's will be there

Wood-turners, lovespoon-carvers, stick-makers, power tools and pyrography are just some of the attractions gathering together in the National Botanic Garden of Wales for a weekend of demonstrations and displays – on Saturday and Sunday January 13-14.

The Garden’s popular Woodcraft Weekend runs from 10am-4.30pm both days and admission is just £4 per person.

There’s plenty to see and do over the Garden’s Woodcraft Weekend, including pyrography demonstrations and children’s workshops by the international pyrography artist, Bob Neill.

There are also demonstrations and displays of powertools and woodturning products, by the likes of Axminster, Isca Timber and local wood-working clubs.

Also putting on a show will be the British Woodcarvers’ Association.

See stunning daily flying displays from the new British Bird of Prey Centre, and warm up with the butterflies in the tropical Butterfly House, Plas Pilipala.

For more information about this and other Garden events email [email protected] or call 01558 667149.

https://botanicgarden.wales/visit/whats ... ftau-coed/

It has changed slightly since one of the leading lights sadly passed away, but usually there are stands from Hope and Axminster, Hope often do wood turning demonstrations. Also individuals and firms selling / demonstrating walking sticks and pyrography and wood carving. Usually someone selling wood blanks, including exotics, someone selling assorted second hand tools including turning tools. Overall I usually spend a pleasant couple of hours browsing, learning, sometimes buying. It's about 25 miles each way for me so quite do-able.
K

Thanks for posting this - I'd not seen it advertised, will definitely try to get there.

C

Thanks for the heads up, I'm 20 odd minutes down the road from the gardens, might spend a few hours there over the weekend.

Just to update on this one, had a venture to the Gardens this morning, not a bad turn out - a little more than I expected (based on my experience of their usual events).

I'm not a turner or carver but spent a good part of the morning having a wander around. Managed to find another wood supplier in the area and there are a few independent tool sellers there. I picked up a Stanley No 18 block plane, 80 and 81 cabinet scrapers plus a no 18 sliding bevel all for decent prices - some of them need a good refurb but I expect that possibility when buying old Stanley tools.

Latest posts

Back