Interesting adjustable spanner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1713

Established Member
Reaction score
I Bought a job lot of tools at an auction today and I was pleased to find this monster among them.
The only markings on it are BR (E) which I initially thought stood for British Rail Engineering. Having searched online for more information, I'm now thinking it stands for British Rail Eastern as they painted everything this shade of blue.
Can anyone confirm my thoughts (or dispel them)
I wouldn't normally use an adjustable spanner to try and turn anything that is a bit stubborn as they have a habit of rounding off the edges of the offending nut as there is always play in the adjusting thread allowing the jaws to open very slightly when under pressure, which means you can never really get a tight fit. However the jaws on this tool do not move at all when they are done up finger tight, the engineering tolerances are really tight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 843
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 843
Hi Andy, that tells me all I need to know about the tool. I reckon it's from your neck of the woods as well, ( if my British Rail Eastern theory is right)
Cheers
Rob

toolsntat":2339brno said:
Rob have a quick gleg at this lot :wink:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FdM1re ... x2rMO/view
Andy

Totally off topic but interesting reading further down that reference to details of Turning Journeymen, there are still remnants of the basic tooling and lathe construction, slipping belt speed control and tool handling shown still practiced today in the 'artisan' turning and carving workshops of north eastern Germany and I suspect eastern europe. Not all of it has been swamped by 'modern' production methods, yet.

Back