Advice on a router table to suit a Trend T11

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan267

Established Member
Reaction score
My first post here, wanted to say thanks because forums have been helpful for months now.

I'm building a workshop and getting it kitted out for a few tasks, this is a bit of a leap into more serious DIY for me. Firstly, rebating 100+ year old sash windows to accept double glazing repair and replace bad wood, so I expect I will need mortise and tenon. going to be constructing boxes inside windows to hide curtains, some runs of skirting board, probably get on to some cabinet making and joinery in the future.

Planning on constructing a workbench that can be moved outside the workshop for longer runs, that I can insert the router table into, and take out and insert my Dewalt DW745 table saw into the hole left by removing the router table, not expecting an exact fit, probably use some kitchen worktop for workbench top.

I was looking at the Record Power RPMS-R-MK2 or a Charnwood W015 or WO20 for the cast iron top, though moving them will of course be difficult due to the weight. Really the WO15 is a bit over budget and really not sure on the clamps that hold the router under the table. I know Trend promote the Craft CRT Mk3, but I didn't like the look of the fence, seemed like it was not high enough.

There are a number of older post here in the forum that state, make your own router table, you can get much more accurate table with the likes of Incra wonder fences for the same money. Well those posts are old (2007) and you certainly cannot build such a high quality table for the same prices as those premade tables I've listed.

Any advice welcome, the Trend T11 looks like a decent bit of kit, so I want to do it justice, but try and keep below £500.

I've got the Fox equivalent of the Charnwood table and a couple of the Trend CRT tables, all good in their own way. I use the Trend ones out and about and keep the cast one in the workshop for obvious reasons.
If I had to choose one it would be the Fox. Apart from the weight it doesn't take up a lot less space than the Trends and the sliding table is handy to have as well.
They appear second hand regularly on eBay in various guises, usually a coule of hundred quid or less. Never had a problem with the mounting clamps so I wouldn't let that worry you too much but they do make you reluctant to take the router in and out unless you have to.

Lonsdale73, thanks, you got me thinking about that, and positioning for dovetails etc I might need something along those lines, and many other fences don't seem to have such a range of movement in them. I found that Finetools of Germany sell Incra stuff a bit cheaper than UK shops, and still duty free until Brexit at least. Actually I've bought from them before, some dowel makers, not a fast delivery but still very competitive vs UK online shops, LS25 wonderfence system at £502 including the £15 delivery. But right now I'm looking at the whole wonderfence system on import from USA, including VAT and duty its cheaper than even Finetools, though I haven't got as far as shipping costs yet, but converts to £387 after taxes, that might be the way forward, then just buy an insert and build the rest of the table from scratch, similar to your youtube video.

As for the Fox Table Hot Stuff, not seeing much at all on ebay right now, the lack of it drove me to look at incra in more detail.

Thanks for the advice guys

bryan267":7ep4bkf5 said:
Lonsdale73, thanks, you got me thinking about that, and positioning for dovetails etc I might need something along those lines, and many other fences don't seem to have such a range of movement in them. I found that Finetools of Germany sell Incra stuff a bit cheaper than UK shops, and still duty free until Brexit at least. Actually I've bought from them before, some dowel makers, not a fast delivery but still very competitive vs UK online shops, LS25 wonderfence system at £502 including the £15 delivery. But right now I'm looking at the whole wonderfence system on import from USA, including VAT and duty its cheaper than even Finetools, though I haven't got as far as shipping costs yet, but converts to £387 after taxes, that might be the way forward, then just buy an insert and build the rest of the table from scratch, similar to your youtube video.

As for the Fox Table Hot Stuff, not seeing much at all on ebay right now, the lack of it drove me to look at incra in more detail.

Thanks for the advice guys

Mine came from Fine Tools and he has a series of useful videos on setting it up and using it effectively. I found Incra US very useful in terms of advice etc, part of which was to look at Fine Tools because the cost of shipping, import taxes and handling fees (aka daylight robbery!) meant it worked out cheaper to buy from mainland Europe.

Peter Sefton said:
Incra now make a plate for me we designed to be used with the Trend T11 so the winder can be used from above the table, let me know if I can help.

Cheers Peter[/quote

Did they remember to put holes in this time?

Lonsdale73":doz4f9eg said:
Peter Sefton":doz4f9eg said:
Incra now make a plate for me we designed to be used with the Trend T11 so the winder can be used from above the table, let me know if I can help.

Cheers Peter[/quote

Did they remember to put holes in this time?

Oh yes, and the router has been spun by 30 odd degrees so the router winder is now well forward of the fence line which makes it much better to use. It also works with the DW 626 and Router Raizer and drilled to suit.

Cheers Peter

I have the Charnwood version of the cast iron tables you mention. I think they are all basically come out of the same Chinese factory as the Record. Mine is an older model than the current version. They have modified the clamps and provide a centring solution now so a router can more easily be removed and replaced. I bought mine from fleabay and payed about £130 for it and its in good condition especially the cast iron table. The guy before me made a platform with wheels so it is easy to move around. I have a Triton permanently mounted and am very please with it. Personally I would buy another second hand. They seem to come up quite often and often go for less than £150.

I also have a small Trend table with a 1/4" Trend T5 mounted in it. Also works fine, I just wanted a larger table to mount a bigger 1/2" router.

I personally don't think its worth the effort to build a router table, there are so many commercially available fully functional units out there I think its a waste of time, but then I don't have much time left, LOL if you insist on building your own this may be useful: http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/router_tables.php Link from CHJ's Free Download thread.

Mike

Back