UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago we lived in a '50s bungalow looking north westerly over the coast of Cornwall - in a bad wind we used to watch our reflections in the dining room window go up and down a foot. We had an antique rosewood dining table and eight chairs which the carpet would lift inches off the floor. :shock: I had a full dustbin empty over me on my 'bike one morning minutes after I had put the cat out and watched her curl up in a ball and get blown across the lawn.

Roof of my shed got lifted and a side wall collapsed as a result - luckily not my workshop shed but a more recent one to house other stuff. The guys that built it are coming to sort it though - and they had the roof of their industrial unit blown off too last night.

Seems to me that the Met Office 'max 44 mph gusts' for our area was utterly wrong - and it sounded more like 60+ mph to me too, trying to get to sleep.

What storm is this then, rained a bit in Edinburgh but nothing more than usual

The only thing I heard last night was my next door neighbour's son trying to shout quietly to his Mum that he had forgotten his keys - this being at 01:38 (digital bedside clock!). Just hope his Dad didn't hear.

My only weak tree went over in the last storm. Everything else is over-engineered to withstand adverse weather.

That said, I did have to pick up a 3'' plastic flowerpot that had gotten loose... somehow.

I took the neighbour's motorbike cover back to them; it had lifted off the bike and blown over the fence into our garden. That's it.

Tuh, luxury, just a puff o wind. When ah was young we 'ad wind ah can tell thee. Wind were so strong it picked oop whole street of ouses and set them down t'other side o town. We all ad t'go t' post office and ave us addresses changed. It were a reet nuisance avin to walk to other side o town just t'go t'toilet in our back yards, then walk back t'ouse again. And as fer lectric, well, some were wi'out fer years. Only last week ah were talkin to a feller wot died in 1947 an again in1963 cos e froze to death wi'out any 'eating. And waves, well don't tha git me started on waves, by eck.

K

After Phil's post just before 10, I googled the four Yorkshire men and was going to wait a few more posts before remarking. But grad owner beat me to it and posted a far superior reply

=D> =D>

Had to pick my daughter up off the ferry last night, the trip down our road was made much longer by having to replace all the wheelie bins onto the pavement to get to the turn around and then move half of them again on the way out and dodge black bags slowly rolling across the highway

Hey, Lurker, sorry to spoil your fun but I just couldn't resist it. Nowt but a bit o nonsense tha knows

Claymore - fel 'na mae nhw'n siarad yn y cefn gwlad yma, 'dwy i'n meddwl. ( Don't worry, it's nothing rude or personal)

K

90mph...second highest in GB, just a a few miles away Brian. I was out in the garden at the peak, checking everything, as the last 'Big Wind' here tore the roofs (plural) off a row of houses not far away...Mae Gord (as they pronounce it here) it was blowin'!! I have been in many windy places, and been picked up and thrown 5m by a gust on a Scottish mountain top in Torridon, but the sheer sustained raw power in the wind on the night in question was awe-inspiring. The howl and the duration of it was well beyond normal. Trees down and a wee bit of structural damage, but then all the susceptible stuff round here was demolished by our parka-wearing friends during the Troubles...

Sam

Back