Black ties.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Where I live, black ties are only worn for funerals but it seems to be the rule on television nowadays that a black tie is worn whenever you are being interviewed about a new film or book or sitting on the morning news sofa. Prince Harry even wore one to announce what I would have thought was happy news, his engagement.

Why?

Black is safe - if he wore a "hip" tie, someone would complain he wasn't being "Royal" enough. Red or blue or yellow, someone would accuse him of secret political leanings. Purple despite being the colour of kings is now seen as a badge of "alternative lifestyle".

Checks, spots or stripes look horrible on TV. Green is also not allowed on TV

Not much left after that but plain black, that gives off no "message" at all that anyone can complain about.

and Harry has lost his Wallace and Gromit flashing one :)

Droogs":3jqv4vkj said:
and Harry has lost his Wallace and Gromit flashing one :)

No matter, he'll be wearing his new bow tie soon...

King-of-Spade-Bow-Tie.jpg

Black neckties being for funerals tends to mean the suit you wear with it is also black. Same as for a Black Tie event also inplying you'll wear a dinner jacket or tuxedo.

Outside of that, it depends greatly on what you wear with the tie.
I've always had black neckties, partly from my early military days and not having to care about colour combinations, but you can also look very smart with other combinations:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7 ... bbe044f973
https://www.permanentstyle.com/wp-conte ... .29.52.png

Wearing a tie?
Weddings, funerals, and court appearances.
Thats me done on the subject.

When I retired last year, all my ties except a black one (for funerals) went to the charity shop.

I never had a job that required a tie. In fact I even turned down one that offered more money but required a shirt and tie.
Now I just wont wear polo neck shirts, because that was my uniform for 20 years.
T shirts rule, OK?

phil.p":3i9t2ev3 said:
I have unfortunately reached an age when my wearing any tie at all means that someone's died. :(

Same here but seems to be more frequent now. Lost my sister last week. :(

When we moved into this house, 35 years ago, a serious consideration is that it was in a good school's catchment.

I remarked (black humour) to my wife a few months ago how useful it is that we are in walking distance of the local crematorium
:(

Lons":vio86vyv said:
phil.p":vio86vyv said:
I have unfortunately reached an age when my wearing any tie at all means that someone's died. :(

Same here but seems to be more frequent now. Lost my sister last week. :(

I feel for you, it's not the best time of year. My mother died New Year's Day 2005 - she told us beforehand she'd save dying til the New Year as she didn't want to spoil people's Xmas. :(

Back