Trying linseed paint - £141.68 for 1 litre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to see all these new suppliers catching on. At least I think they are new, maybe they've been around quietly for years?
It's a bit like the real ale revolution - not much chance of a swing the other way taking us back to Worthington E and 'modern' paint.

Rubbed down the paint and washed down with linseed soap as per allback guys suggestion.
073a80288f87b3181917ea1ca447dc9a.jpg

Quietly confident that should sort the patchy issue.
Washed out the brush with soap this time

7d8b9c26aee53267e3002e5a00110498.jpg

What a mess !!! It was a lot of effort washing it out but the brush seems reasonably clean now. Hopefully that should prevent any risk of solvent contamination on future samples.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wrong brush for linseed oil paint. You need a fitch - not sure of the proper name but several different sizes of these below. And you don't wash them you leave them suspended in oil (jam jar, hole in top, clothes peg).

image14286130685526e7cc6f806-500x500.jpg

I was gonna buy one of those brushes but was advised early on they were uneccessary and an ordinary brush would do ?

If I change paint colour will the brush not need washing out ? I'm slowly but surely making progress with this. Thanks for sticking with me Jacob.

ColeyS1":2k0ak1uq said:
I was gonna buy one of those brushes but was advised early on they were uneccessary and an ordinary brush would do ?

If I change paint colour will the brush not need washing out ? I'm slowly but surely making progress with this. ....
Stiffish brush makes it much easier to brush out thin. If you use a conventional brush you can convert it by giving it a shave to make it shorter and rounded - like a well worn brush. There was a geezer on Ebay doing just that and selling them as specialities; ordinary Harris brushes which had had a hair cut.
They are really difficult to clean thoroughly - but not impossible. Simpler to have a brush for each colour and keep them suspended in oil permanently so they never need washing. The time saved alone makes it worth while.
When you get to re-use a brush you can use the oil its been suspended in as a primer so it doesn't get wasted; another economy on top of what you've already saved on solvents, cleaning materials, time and effort! Win , Win!!
ColeyS1":2k0ak1uq said:
..... Thanks for sticking with me Jacob.....
No problem. It's interesting to hear what others are doing - it's all experiment and learning process for me too.

Nice one Jacob. I like the brush shortening/shaving idea.

So it took an extra day to dry this time after being washed down with linseed soap.

94328b106d05879e5b0677c887df6386.jpg

d2eb8d687edaab92208e3d505592dcbc.jpg

Still patchy. I think I need to abandon trying to get this sample window looking consistent. It'll be a reminder to be more careful.
Several items from the other paint company are out of stock, so I'll wait until I can order all of it.

Done the oricalcum order on the 12th and it arrived yesterday. First thing I noticed was one of the paints was on back order. Looked through the rest of the box and they've missed off page two of the order !! Lol So I'm missing the balsam turpentine and linseed oil, as well as the paint that's on back order. Rang the number and spoke to a guy 'who's alone in the office' Sent an email with pictures of page one with big red ticks next to it and page two with nothing. Awaiting their response. Joy

I guess another thing to add to linseed application info is allow plenty of time for delivery !

I had this patchy looking effects on my paint, I have never had the issue when painting in the summer months. Only in the winter does it go patchy. I have convinced myself this is the issue.

garethharvey":1d7rheic said:
I had this patchy looking effects on my paint, I have never had the issue when painting in the summer months. Only in the winter does it go patchy. I have convinced myself this is the issue.
That's comforting to hear Gareth. Did the patchyness ever go away or did it stay like it forever ? I've got all the other bits and pieces from my last order now, just need to find some motivation to get into it again.
Cheers
Coley

garethharvey":27yqlcjt said:
Possibly applied a little to thickly. I had a prob when I first used it and had to wire-wool the shiny bits away. Been OK since though.

ColeyS1":1jwon269 said:
garethharvey":1jwon269 said:
That's comforting to hear Gareth. Did the patchyness ever go away or did it stay like it forever ? I've got all the other bits and pieces from my last order now, just need to find some motivation to get into it again.
Cheers
Coley

No, they all stayed patchy, it’s on a glasshouse so not so important. I painted these at the end of November, applied the same as I always do. They are still patchy now

garethharvey":w7g8caib said:
ColeyS1":w7g8caib said:
garethharvey":w7g8caib said:
Cheers
Coley

No, they all stayed patchy, it’s on a glasshouse so not so important. I painted these at the end of November, applied the same as I always do. They are still patchy now

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that, but I'm still convinced it's an oily hardwood issue. I think we might have some sapele in the workshop, I might give a scrap a coat tommoz and see what happens. What was the glass house made of Gareth?

A little while ago I was dead keen on trying linseed oil paint. This thread has put me right off that idea though!

memzey":bdj81l13 said:
A little while ago I was dead keen on trying linseed oil paint. This thread has put me right off that idea though!
It's not a paint - it's a whole alternative lifestyle!

BugBear

bugbear":sfuw2krv said:
memzey":sfuw2krv said:
It's not a paint - it's a whole alternative lifestyle!

BugBear
No it's just paint.
It's very different from modern paints and this takes a bit of getting used to - but the end product is painted joinery in muted colours with an "eggshell" finish.
Not high gloss, not the bright colours, not so self cleaning , but much more durable and permanent.

That’s what I thought Jacob which was why I was so keen on trying it. This thread just makes it seem like an almighty faff and nigh on impossible to get right.

All jokes aside I probably will give it a go sometime but this thread has made me weary. I dislike painting as it is and had hoped that this type of paint would be easy to get right and not flake off after a couple of years like most modern paints do. It may well prove to be more durable but I certainly appear to have got the easy to apply part all wrong! If, as with most things, there is just a knack to this then it’s not coming across clearly, to me at least, on this thread.

memzey":3piskwkc said:
That’s what I thought Jacob which was why I was so keen on trying it. This thread just makes it seem like an almighty faff and nigh on impossible to get right.....
It's very easy to get right - it just has to be brushed out very thin, much thinner than you would be used to with normal paint.
It's very easy to get wrong if you try to lay it on thick like normal paint.

This has been a really interesting thread, and made more so by not so many endorses/detractors.

I would sum my experience up as follows:

Pros:
Really nice to paint on
Brilliant finish, even on manky old joinery
Low odour
Cleaning brushes is a doddle

Cons:
Drying time is bonkers in white
Getting hold of the stuff from order to delivery takes two to four weeks (which is bog all use from a trade perspective)

All in all; I'm still using it. I will never ever use it for white again, as that has been disastrous on a number of occasions. Black, light blue and brick red seem to work OK. I still get the sense that there's a a bunch hippies somewhere that water in a bowl and dance 'round a camp fire to produce it, but hey ho.

For restoration jobs and re-painting manky old windows and doors it's great. But for production work it's not so good.

Merry New Year,

Ed

Back