Circular saw / table saw / see saw???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, after some advice regarding saws.

I tend to make things from sheet materials rather than planks and cutting is a pain in the rear. So thinking about getting a circular saw. I’ve seen some mini ones and they look pretty good but are they gutless?

I’ll be cutting mdf/ply/conti board etc. But who knows as skill increases I may want to use other stuff and would like the tool to allow for that.

Ideally cordless and I do have a thing for makita :)

If breaking down sheet goods, and you don't have the space for a full blown table saw, a plunge saw is the way to go. Together with suitable track, they really do make it a simple job - at least the mains powered ones do.
Cordless plunge saws seem to be relatively new and expensive. I've no idea how effective they are but, to whet your appetite, there are a few here: https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/browse.php/s ... 28/level/4.
As always, your budget may be the deciding factor!
Duncan

Hudson - this sort of question often comes up here and every time it kicks off the circular saw vs track saw debate.

Before making suggestions I think it's worth asking what sort of projects do you have in mind, and if there's a budget?

Track saws are wonderful things for accurately cutting sheet materials (and with the correct blade and setup, solid wood too) but for a lot work they can be overkill. A standard circular saw - mains or cordless - can be converted to a track saw with a simple homemade jig, and may or not be perfectly adequate for whatever you intend to do with it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

the main thing I tend to do at the minute is shelving and cabinets for the garage.

I would however like to make a new TV stand for our lounge and we've a room i'm turning into a gym. The cupboards i've seen that would do the job are around £600. I don't really want to pay that for the use, so would rather have a go at making something fitted. It's only really a few carcasses with doors.

so yes, mainly sheet. Might be the odd bit of costruction timber (I don't have a mitre saw either) so just wanting to get something that'll be a trusted tool rather than worrying too much about the cost (don't have festool budgets though!) I think a couple of hundred quid would be fine as long as you get what you pay for but if something cheaper would suffice then great.

For the work you envisage a track saw would be ideal, taking the saw to the sheet is far easier than trying to manoeuvre a full sheet of plywood or melamine onto the top of a table saw, IMO a £89.00 Rutlands track saw: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+xt3516 can't be overkill, buying Festool for a one off job is overkill, an extending cross cut saw would also be useful for carcass work, plenty of inexpensive ones around, a Triton from Screwfix comes to mind, but do keep in mind these low end machines are not going to give you a finish that does not need some extra work.

Mike

Back