Two-way light switch - Sorted, thank you all.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too thought that the black wire was bare outside the block and was going to suggest its remedy but if you blow the image up it looks more like plaster dust on the black insulation.
black.jpg

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 450
Afternoon Steve

I haven't time today to do any more, I should have a cake in the oven by now and I haven't even been shopping yet.

Get your priorities in order Steve.

Leave the wiring until Tuesday :D

Cheers

Dave

Well I'm back home and back on the case. This is the switch in the kitchen.
IMG_20180102_142616328.jpg

L1 is red, L2 is blue with a red tag, COM is Yellow.

Two people told me to swap L2 and COM, but that just made matters worse, so it is back to how it was, now.

PS, I've done the same continuity test: COM-L1 in one position, COM-L2 in the other.

Attachments

• IMG_20180102_142616328.jpg
    IMG_20180102_142616328.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 383
MikeG.":2t4zbp6m said:
It's witch-craft, Steve.

10/10

Having swapped two wires round to no avail, I swapped them back and now everything works as it should. I don't understand it. The implication is a poor connection, but the wires appeared to be tight, there was nothing obviously loose.

Ah well, we'll see if it stays like this, but it not worked properly since I moved in, over 4 years ago!

All's well that ends well, eh?

Hello Steve

Before you screw it all back together, I'd check all the connections for tightness and find an earth from somewhere to put on the second switch. It might also be worth looking under the red tape to see what's hidden there.

Cheers

Dave

Steve Maskery":2ndna7rg said:
MikeG.":2ndna7rg said:
It's witch-craft, Steve.

10/10

Having swapped two wires round to no avail, I swapped them back and now everything works as it should. I don't understand it. The implication is a poor connection, but the wires appeared to be tight, there was nothing obviously loose.

Ah well, we'll see if it stays like this, but it not worked properly since I moved in, over 4 years ago!

All's well that ends well, eh?
Hi Steve

I had a connection problem a number of years ago with a 13 amp socket and it took me ages to sort. It would work for a while then not, no pattern, all tight connections and worked every time I refitted the damn thing, drove me up the wall. I suspected a faulty socket so switched it, checked all wiring for continuity then one day noticed a small black area on the neutral wire. Turned out there was a break in the wire which connected ok most of the time but for some reason would eventually lose contact.
Fixed it and it's been perfect for years since.

cheers
Bob

Back