Kids table and the journey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
We moved into our new home a couple of years ago. At this point, we bought the kids a table and two chairs cheaply off Amazon. For the money, this has served the kids well and us, sometimes. A few months ago, the legs started to before wobbly, so I decided to build them a new one.

To add to this, I started woodwork about a year ago with my first cheap table saw. Since then I have bought table saw (Axminister TS 200), pillar drill, planner and thickness, dust extractor and band saw (I had a good few hand tools and hand power tools).

Everything I have built so far has been using plywood (floating shelves and media centre of sorts) or MDF (Kids stacking shelves)….So for this, I decided to make it from solid wood and to do some joinery…..or attempt.

What have I learnt from this project,

Need a better square – started thread and bought an engineers’ one to improve things
I didn’t check the squareness of my planner, vertical piece. Now checked and squared
Need to sharpen chisels and planners more, a lot more……and get better at sharpening.
Work out if you do the mortise or tenon first, or does it matter. (mine were a little lose)
Create a cut list that isn’t on a piece of paper (ie put it on a board of some kind) and don’t stray from this unless you rethink all cuts.

So, the design was based on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3OCcKmCWH4&t=519s although I didn’t do the small shelf.

I knew this design would significantly test my abilities but would be solid for the next 5 years for the kids. I started from some solid rough sawn Ash I bought from Chrispy a while back (also made a floor lamp that I already wont to remake). There would be a few key things I would learn from this project,

Improve milling – certainly done that, although areas to improve on.
Jointing boards – Got better but still room for improvement
Breadboard ends
Mortice and tenon
Draw boarding
Improve planning

So below are a few pictures of the table before finish,

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

Things I had to recover…..

The mortise and tenon were lose, so I had to pack them….Not the best but worked in the end.
Breadboard ends……The legs and the tabletop joint is poor on one side. I stupidly placed the draw hole away from the joint and made one too far and blew them both out of the cross piece ( I stopped in time and glues it back together).
Squareness…….This cost me hours from the legs and joints were out of square on two sides. At first, I didn’t think this was an issue, but it cost me later in the project.

Any feed back is most welcome. Ill be finishing it over the next few days with Osmo....

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 996
That’s really nice! I love the exposed joinery, it looks like I will last a darn sight more than 5 years.

I'm curious on the choice of position of the dowels for the breadboard ends - can you elaborate please?

There are two tenons on each side. The furthest Dowel is in the middle of each of the tenons.....however, this is where i position the hole in the tenon incorrectly.....So i redrilled some more, not sure why i didn't go inside of the failed hole.

Am interesting design - nice work! I really like how you set out to achieve a list of objectives and also created a list of things to remember in the future or improve upon :)

For future reference, it's not really breadboard ends. A breadboard end typically has a central tenon (which is often almost the entire width of the panel). It's secured in the centre, but left floating within the mortise at the ends, this allowing for expansion and contraction of the glued boards from the centre, outwards.

As you have two tenons pinned almost at each end, they might fight against each other in the centre. It probably won't be a problem in our climate though, so I wouldn't worry :D

Fair point...i was actually (trying) to follow the design from the video...The outside dowels are the only ones that go all the way through (the inside ones were done incorrectly so i plugged them). Each of the outside dowel holes is elongated to allow for movement and the tenon has space either side as well.....but give our climate and the fact its only 35 cm wide i am hoping it wont move.

Back