How to fix a leaking waste outlet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Got this waste outlet. I am assuming that the washbasin is sandwiched between the two conical washers (orange arrow).

IMG_20180101_115124.jpg

But what stops the water running down the thread and past the nut?

'cos it does. :evil:

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_115124.jpg
    IMG_20180101_115124.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,031
The lower nut should be tightened enough to deform the thick silicone washer into the threads to seal them. plumbing fittings (for some unknown reason) are poorer at their job than any other known fitting or appliance.
I always run sanitary silicone sealer around all threads on waste pipes, regardless.
Note SANITARY sealer. Not all silicones are equal and any other type of silicone is unlikely to be waterproof.

Rorschach":hdre16e6 said:
Plumbers Mait can be used if you don't trust the seals.

+1 alway use a ring of plumbers mate to give a good seal and never had a leak. I’m a qualified plumber but not in the trade so have done quite a few for friends and family.

And another for plumbers mait. I find that silicon (whatever type) doesn't stay waterproof whereas plumbers mait seems to last forever!

stuartpaul":1v812yfr said:
And another for plumbers mait. I find that silicon (whatever type) doesn't stay waterproof whereas plumbers mait seems to last forever!

Stuart, notice I stressed "SANITARY" silicone. That will be waterproof untill the end of time.. There are lots of silicone "fillers" that are worse than useless when it comes to water.

Sanitary silicone applied to clean metal or china, will never come loose.
But yes, if you can find plumbers mait that is almost as good, although not as good at stopping the nuts from undoing as silicone is.

LOL I'm loving how some of you looked at the OP thought, "nope can't help.... but lets have a look at the crossword...".

rafezetter":imvdwwvb said:
LOL I'm loving how some of you looked at the OP thought, "nope can't help.... but lets have a look at the crossword...".

Me too. I am no good at cryptics, but the tangential approach made me smile. Happy new year.

sunnybob":32ixa754 said:
stuartpaul":32ixa754 said:

Stuart, notice I stressed "SANITARY" silicone. That will be waterproof untill the end of time.. There are lots of silicone "fillers" that are worse than useless when it comes to water.

Sanitary silicone applied to clean metal or china, will never come loose.
But yes, if you can find plumbers mait that is almost as good, although not as good at stopping the nuts from undoing as silicone is.
And I said ‘whatever type’ (and I know there are many). Regardless of the type used over time it loses adhesion and ends up leaking, particularly on screw threads I’ve found.

Still, you use your stuff and I’ll use mine and we’ll both be happy!

RogerS":1jgiohw7 said:
OK...

Ship's lieutenant and equipment thrown overboard, we hear, after ten uprising (3,6)

I think I know the answer but can't see why.

very tough.

ten uprising, means 10 reversed = 01
ships lieutenant = LT
Thrown overboard = ANCHOR

What do we have = 10LTANCHOR= with a little bit of tweeking = OIL TANKER

I have tried all of the suggestions so far and sometimes not been able to achieve a good seal. When ever I need to fit a basin, bath or sink I buy a new rubber seal for the bottom that has a threaded internal section. This screws onto the plug assembly and then when the nut tightens up it creates a complete seal. I’ve normally bought them from B&Q as I can’t usually remember what they are called but know what I’m looking for. I think the following link provides the product. All I can say that when I’ve used them I’ve found they have sealed just by screwing them up without the addition of the nut compression, which for me is a sign of a brilliant design / product.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/thomas-dudle ... GwodAbwJQQ

Back