10" Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a 10" mitre saw and was wondering what people would recommend? Ideally double bevel compound sliding for around the £350 mark. I am also looking for a good stand to go with it which can be completely separately they don't have to come together. Also I would prefer the saw and stand to be new too as I have had bad experiences purchasing second hand gear.

All recommendations welcome.

Thanks

James

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Makita. I have no experience of their other tools, but my LS1013 is flippin' superb.

+1 for the 1013 although mine is the earlier model without the laser, the adjustment on the table and fence allows perfect set up for level and angle, cuts mitres that don't need trimming for picture frames.

Mike

I’ve got the LS1018 which is the modern version of the 1013. Had it for a few years now and very pleased with it. Loads of capacity and very accurate. Does have a laser but I ignore that - bit of a gimmick if you ask me.

Forgot to mention the 1013 is in fact a 300mm mitre saw so a bit bigger than you wanted.

For a stand, you can't do much better than the Bosch gravity stand it packs away with the saw on it to a much smaller space than the beam type and is very easily moved around even on an uneven floor.

Mike

Thanks guys.

I have had a quick look and the LS1013 looks like it is a double bevel sliding compound mitre saw exactly what I asked for however I cant seem to find it anywhere new. Is it a previous model and the LS1018 its replacement?

Also when you say its a 300mm mitre saw when I looked its a 10 inch from here: https://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-ls1013-10inch-slide-compound-mitre-saw-240v-p6163 or are there different versions of it?

If anyone has any other recommendations they would be appreciated too as I have heard Dewalt and Hitatchi are quite good as well but I haven't got or used them so I dont know personally.

Thanks

James

Just had a look at my version and it is the LS1013 no laser though, on the side of the motor is has a sticker that says 300 x 30 saw blade even though it is listed as a 250 saw, I have a 260 blade in mine.

Unfortunately the 1013 is not made anymore and I have heard, but don't know the facts, that the 1018 is not as good, this seems to be bourn out by the fact that the 1013 fetches a premium second hand.

Mike

..after many hrs looking for a new mitre saw I ended up with a Metabo....seemed to offer the best "quality" for a reasonable cost. (I wanted a Makita, but the later ones have had a few bad reviews, and after trying a few in various shops the "rail bearings " felt really "gritty"). Only compromise with the Metabo is its only single bevel, but I can live with this as you just turn the workpiece the other way. I got a saw stand from Aldi for £40. All in all I have been more than happy with both these purchases...

Happy New Year :)

Thanks MikeJhn so is there anything out on the market which is as good?

Thanks Stevebod which model saw do you have and do you have a link for the stand so I can have a look please?

Thanks

James

morpheus83uk":1b3jw4uw said:
Happy New Year :)

Thanks MikeJhn so is there anything out on the market which is as good?

James

Only if you go much more expensive.

Mike

Thanks what could I get for my budget? And how much more expensive are we talking about?

Thanks GrahamF for the recommendation I will check it out.

James

Unfortunately or fortunately in my case the Makita has been so good I have no first hand experience of any other mitre saws, so I can only go by what other people post on here, this is always subjective and everyone, including me, thinks they have the best thing since sliced bread, the only advise I can give is when looking go for something that has adjustment for the fence and table so it can be set up correctly, surprising how many mitre saws don't have any adjustments available, this is mostly at the less expensive end of the market, also consider how much room you need at the back of the saw, the latest saws have a folding arm instead of the rail system they would make positioning of the saw against a wall much easier.

Good luck in your search.
Mike

This thread may help: chop-saw-recommendation-t101901-60.html

Thanks Mike, with the sliding action I don't follow what you mean by the folding arm? I think your Makita has the rail system so I get that I am just unsure about how the folding arm works with a sliding action.

I will check out that thread as well thanks!

James

Its what Bosch call there Glide mitre saw, instead of two rails that the saw slides back and forth on it has an arm that folds forward and backwards without extending to the rear: https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-438320/bos ... BvEALw_wcB

I have seen a few other saws that have the rails fixed in position and the saw slides forward on them, but this does mean the rails are always over the table.

Mike

As above, that's the only drawback I've ever found with my Makita, the amount of space you need behind the saw.

It's usually lugged out onto the driveway, but it would be nice to use it in situ (against the wall).

MikeJhn":wqvwoenz said:
I have seen a few other saws that have the rails fixed in position and the saw slides forward on them, but this does mean the rails are always over the table. Mike

Like the Kapex. Seems a good system to me with the rails high and out of the way. Surprised others haven't followed Festool example, saw can then be flat against the wall without having to spend extra for Bosch glide.

Hi,

I got the Metabo KGS 254 M...it was on a price drop on Amazon for about £200 when I got mine in 2016. As for the Aldi stand...it just appeared on one of their "specials" one day when I happened to be in so appols but I can't find a link. (Its good quality and was only £40..)

Ah right I am with you now thanks for the explanation and link Mike!

I do have a space in the garage ready for my purchase so space behind isn't too much of an issue, but for long boards I am going to have to move the saw forward anyway to be able to cut. It does sound appealing though as long as it doesn't get in the way of cutting the stock and as you say NazNomad it would be good to have it against the wall. Either way against the wall or not for longer boards I am going to need to move it further into the garage anyway.

No worries about the link if you have any other suggestions for a stand though I am all ears :) I have had a quick look at the saw and it does look nice so it will be one to consider so thanks for the recommendation :)

James

James, been in the same boat and just ordered the Bosch GCM3502542 230v 254mm 10in Double Bevel from Axminster, should arrive tomorrow. It was a close thing between the Bosch and the Makita, Makita looks good but looks to suffer from a few quality control issues, you either get a good one or not. Almost all my power tools are Makita so like the brand but the Bosch to me ( I hope) had the edge, although cost about £60 more.

Austin

Back