Tools for curves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bm101 I think shaping with files is definitely on topic for this thread and you raise a good question. I have nothing against using files (or rasps) but, as you say, not many people (admit to) doing it. I don't know why.

custard":2nujdet4 said:
Racers":2nujdet4 said:
Here's a Millars Falls Cigar shave in action.

I take my hat off to you, that's not an easy tool to master.

Thanks custard, it’s all in the wrist action :D

Pete

El Barto":b6puekz3 said:
Just looked up the Qiangsheng spokeshave after reading this, got one off eBay for £40. Looking forward to trying it out...

Those Boggs style spokeshave are an absolute delight to use. At first I thought the lack of a depth adjuster would be a disadvantage, but it's quite the opposite, as long as you don't torque down too hard on the blade retaining nuts you can adjust the depth of cut in or out by holding one handle and rapping the other on the bench. After a while this becomes second nature and you find you're constantly adjusting the depth of cut to suit the job in hand. So for example you might start with quite a coarse cut to clean up a bandsawn curve, but then take the cut finer and finer as you progress through fairing the curve to the final planed finish.

custard":368bszlo said:
El Barto":368bszlo said:
Just looked up the Qiangsheng spokeshave after reading this, got one off eBay for £40. Looking forward to trying it out...

Those Boggs style spokeshave are an absolute delight to use. At first I thought the lack of a depth adjuster would be a disadvantage, but it's quite the opposite, as long as you don't torque down too hard on the blade retaining nuts you can adjust the depth of cut in or out by holding one handle and rapping the other on the bench. After a while this becomes second nature and you find you're constantly adjusting the depth of cut to suit the job in hand. So for example you might start with quite a coarse cut to clean up a bandsawn curve, but then take the cut finer and finer as you progress through fairing the curve to the final planed finish.

It arrived today and it's lovely to use. I will have to try adjusting the blade that way...!

Files are great tools for wood. where they really shine is subtle shaping of hard woods with gnarly grain.

Back